Disturbing night at handling class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing night at handling class

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultDisturbing night at handling class

My husband and I left our Wednesday class feeling shocked. At the Wednesday class there are usually a couple of terriers, a Dalmatian,a few German Shepards. This class had a couple of Samoyeds and malamutes. It's usually a pretty easy going class. This week was a bit unusual.

Things were going fine until I noticed this one lady keeping her malamute away from the others in the middle of the room. It was obviously a puppy, older than 6 mth. The poor thing was scared out of her mind. She tried to walk her around the ring but she was not interested. Instead, the poor girl slumped to a heap on the floor, whimpering. I thought to myself, poor girl, thinking with positive reinforcements she'll get it. Man, was I in for a surprise. The lady started yelling at the poor girl, dragging her across the ground. It was sickening. You could hear her choking and crying. I couldn't believe the woman was dragging her across the floor like that. It was even freaking Floss out. She heard the cries and could not stand still. She was jumping around like she was in trouble for something. Everyone around me was so upset. One lady tried to give the malamute a biscuit when she finally walked on her own without being dragged, the lady said 'don't do that, this is a malamute.'

Awhile later one of the Samoyeds acted out. It got a little nippy when another dog that was sniffing it. The next thing I heard was a lady yelling. Floss was freaked out. I saw out of the corner of my eye a lady holding a dog against a wall at her level. My husband told me later that a dog had sniffed the Samoyed and the Samoyed freaked out a bit, without actually touching the other dog. The next thing he saw was the handler picking the dog up and throwing it against the wall while yelling at it. My husband said from the moment it acted up and the moment it was disciplined was so delayed the dog must have been so confused. The handler later apologised for what she had done, to the owner, who was sitting right there. The owner said "she can be a real shit sometimes". ????!!!??? I can't imagine ever doing that to my dog and feeling like I accomplished something.

Anyway, I felt ill. The people around me felt ill. When we left, all my husband could say was 'that was a gong show'.

If I am ever at a class like this in the future I am determined to speak up. My husband agrees. I just feel sick that I didn't say anything today.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Disturbing night at handling class

People like that should surrender their dog to foster care then the other people in the class should line up and take turns treating her the way she treated her dog.

See how she likes it then

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

wow!
    My trainer had some guy who would smack his dog in class. The first time her back was turned and she heard it from another student after class. So, not much she could do. It happened again and she caught him doing it and reprimanded him for it. Yeah he didn't like that. He kept coming to class but changed his attitude towards the dog in class at least...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Where was the trainer/class leader? Did they not say anything to them? I can't imagine someone treating their dog like that in a training class. Please do say something if she's ever there again that poor dog.

I am SO not a violent person, but I would have had a hard time not smacking those owners. That makes me sick to my stomach.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

don't feel bad for not reacting last night - shock will do that too you! I don't know what I would have done and I am wondering where was the trainer - I can't nbelive they didn't say anything! i agree with you now that you know it may be coming you will be ready to say something when/if it happens again.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

what a stressful environment for the dogs and everyone else.
    i would have a hard time going back to a class where someone like that was in my group.
    when someone decides to train their dog in a particular style, it can really be difficult to persuade them to change. that person has to want to make a change for themselves and their dog, but when they are convinced that the are doing the right thing, opposing opinions only come across as judgements and accusations.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Isn't there a teacher or coach at a handling class? If so, why the hell didn't they say something.

What about suggesting a good book on dog handling/training to the nut case?
    (you never know, maybe one day you'll actually come across a person that will read it.)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh. My. Gosh.

Well, I will admit, there are handlers at our club who employ several different levels of correction. There are people like me, who rarely correct, and people who use much stronger corrections pretty freely. But there is NO ONE who would throw a dog against a wall, or try to drag a whimpering, confused dog around by a leash. Frankly, I really can't believe the instructor didn't put a stop to this and fast. If anything like that happened at our club, I am thinking the owner would probably be asked not to return.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Geez, that's absolutely awful.

I would not be going back. In fact, stuff like that happened at our beginner class and we dropped out and found another class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast