Why is he whining so much??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is he whining so much??

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy is he whining so much??

Tal seems to be doing well but he sure is whining alot. He does not seem to be in any pain and quits when I feed him a little. I think it is because he is hungry. I do not want to over feed him and make him sick. I would leave him out of his crate but he will not lay down and I am afraid he will fall and hurt himself until the grogginess wears off.

Is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why is he whining so much??

Sounds normal. After Payton was spayed, she would stand there as if in a daze and whine. I am sure it is still the effects of anesthesia and probably some discomfort. I would only feed the amount recommended by the vet even if he is hungry. He will be feeling much better (albeit slow moving) in the morning.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wiscpayton
    Sounds normal. After Payton was spayed, she would stand there as if in a daze and whine. I am sure it is still the effects of anesthesia and probably some discomfort. I would only feed the amount recommended by the vet even if he is hungry. He will be feeling much better (albeit slow moving) in the morning.
    That's pretty much what I have been doing. I have fed him as the vet recommended I guess I was not expecting the whining. He finally settled down and is asleep again. He'll probably really konk out once I go to bed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's normal after anesthesia.....try to get yourself some rest, too!

Try to relax. It is ok and normal. Often times they cry coming off anesthetic and pain killers bc it feels really odd to them since they have no concept of recreational "high". He is just down off his high and probably feels weird. The noises that came out of Kimba on our way home made me cry- and he was just fine....
    Good thoughts comin Tal's way!

that sounds normal to me also.

Last year Chloe broke her leg, She was put under for X-Rays and was given morphine. She whined for 24 hours straight. I called the emergency vet clinic just to make sure it was normal.

Good thoughts to you and Tal!! Glad he's home with you now!

Yep, the whining and crying is "normal"... Henery cried/whined/shook/drooled for about 6 hours after coming out of his anesthetic when he broke his toe. I freaked out and kept calling the emerg vet and they kept telling me it was okay. After he finally fell asleep, and then woke up hours later, he was fine.

Breaks your heart to hear them cry though!!

Hope Tal is feeling back to his normal self soon!

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Be sure to allow him access to water when he is out of the crate, so that he doesn't get dehydrated. Drinking and peeing will help the liver process the anesthetic left over in his system.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Even though it's totally normal, it's a killer to hear, isn't it?

I just about died with Gabby crying after her spay. I called the vet clinic and told them if they didn't give me something to give her to make her sleep, they were going to have to give me something to make me sleep. They gave me more drugs for her

Oh, try letting him have a few ice cubes.

bdk6069 Guest

Ruby "whines" all of the time. I think that it is her way of communicating with me. Her tail is usually wagging. I have finally let her sleep in my bed at night, she cowers over me ,,,and whines (time to pee).. I bring her down let her pee..Start the coffee..she whines (time to poo). The sun somes in the back door..she whines..time to play. She can hear the kid's bus come up the road, and whines until they get home. I think that it is the way they communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast