Fishing with your Lab

Thread: Fishing with your Lab

deific Guest

DefaultFishing with your Lab

Does anyone fish with their dog? I always wanted my dog to come with me and fish on the beach or by boat. But I am scared of him trying to eat my lure, or some other hook he might find on the beach. Does anyone do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fishing with your Lab

My husband has take Bailey both regular & ice fishing with him & she has a blast.
    She loved being in the boat with us this summer!
    You definitely just have to be extra careful about not leaving anything lay around & watch them while you're changing/adding bait on your hook.
    If you take the right precautions, it can be a blast!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't fish, but I have been near fishermen with my dogs, and they tend to want to jump in the water after anything that is thrown in. So there is always the danger they may get hooked. You may be able to fish with your lab, if you tie him near you so he doesn't jump in when you cast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Yes, keep your dog leashed and keep an eye on him her. My dad and I took our old dog, Jordan, fishing once. She not only tried to catch the lures as they were being thrown, but would jump in and try to swim after them. She quickly got leashed or locked in the cabin during fishing times.

Not to mention, she completely emptied the bucket of minnows. She would stick her head in, grab a mouthful and drop them on the dock or the rocks.

In the end, my dad took an old lure, took out the hooks and let her have at it. She had so much fun chasing that lure everytime he cast it out, and we had so much fun reeling in the lure as fast as we could so she still couldn't grab it, that I smile everytime I think of that day.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Mocha Guest

We take Maggie fishing with us everytime we go. We go bass fishing, ocean fishing and perch fishing (perch is from the shore). She loves it all. Yes, you do have to be careful of your lures. When we bass fish we are catch and release only so we make sure that she doesn't touch the fish otherwise she likes to lick the fish. Here are some great pictures of her going with us. When we perch fish from shore she actually retrieves the perch. (we only use small hooks and the fish usually swallow the hooks so she wouldn't be hurt by them)

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Not to mention, she completely emptied the bucket of minnows. She would stick her head in, grab a mouthful and drop them on the dock or the rocks.
    We do have this issue with Bailey & minnows as well, just make sure they are in a sealed bucket or kept away from them.
    My husband brought the minnow bucket in the house last night to make sure it didn't freeze & he forgot to shut the top & we found Bailey with her head in the bucket, as soon as we shut it she leaves it alone though!

Jen

My husband takes Cosmo and Neo fishing all of the time! We have never had a problem with them trying to jump in after casting. They have their place to sit on the boat and they just watch. When my husband catches a fish, they run over so they can sniff the fish before he throws it back.
    We did have an issue last summer when Neo jumped off the boat because there was a lab on shore that he hadn't met yet : My husband called him to the boat but realized that he couldn't get him back on the boat. I was on shore so I was able to call Neo to me. This summer, both Cosmo and Neo will be getting life jackets that have handles so my husband can lift them back into the boat if needed.