Differences in registries...AKC, UKC, CKC (Canada), CKC (US), and others?

Thread: Differences in registries...AKC, UKC, CKC (Canada), CKC (US), and others?

DefaultDifferences in registries...AKC, UKC, CKC (Canada), CKC (US), and others?

I'm kinda confused in what the different registries represent. I've heard that AKC is what you want if your in the US (which I am, and have an AKC yellow lab), but I'm confused why some believe other registries are not as good. I'm sure that there are alot of different reasons why, but I'm really curious as to the differences, and would love to learn more.

Thanks,
    Chancie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Differences in registries...AKC, UKC, CKC (Canada), CKC (US), and others?

UKC and AKC are legit and so is CKC (Canada). Anything else in the US is not.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Differences in registries...AKC, UKC, CKC (Canada), CKC (US), and others?

most other registries are puppymill registries or ones that will register mixed breed dogs. There about 25 of them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think the main reason they are not as respectable is that they don't require any proof of a dogs lineage they will register about any dog based on the "breeder's" word where as the other require further authentication such as DNA and pedigrees both parents have to be registered...etc.

Actually, not all registries are created equal. Some even register mixed breeds like lab/poodle mixes and that sort. AKC is the American Kennel Club, UKC is the United Kennel Club, and CKC is the Canadian Kennel Club: all very reputable registries that register only purebred dogs. Now on the other hand there are plenty of bogus registries out there: CKC (US) the Continental Kennel Club, UKCI the Universal Kennel Club International, and a host of others that are geared more toward Puppy Mills and "Designer" dogs. They will register just about anything!

Here is a good webpage on registries: http://www.wonderpuppy.net/kc.htm

Hope that helps some, and I hope I didn't offend anyone!!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

In New Zealand it is the NZKC.

In N.Z it is the registered breeder who give the pup a kennel name. It must then be registered with the NZKC and they send out the certificates. I guess it is the same as other countries. Except I have read you give your pup the kennel name.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/