Lab in apartment?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab in apartment?

DefaultLab in apartment?

Next year I am going to be living in an apartment that allows dogs. I'll be there for 9 months, and then I'm heading back to my parent's house. I was wondering if a young lab would do well in an apartment. I probably wouldn't buy a pup until 3 months into living in the apartment, so the pup would be living in the apartment from being a 1 month old to a 6 month old. Would living in an aparment for his first 6 months of life be appropriate? As long as I take him out to the park to exercise and play, would an apartment be big enough, or do all labs need to live in houses with yards?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab in apartment?

Labs can do very well in apts. Though I have never had to raise a puppy in one.

It requires a higher level of commitment. they don't needs much ROOM as they tend to be by your side anyway. Just factor in a corner for the crate! But it means farther to go for potty breaks and having to make your way outside in bad weather.

Have you discussed this with your parents? Do you know what their rules regarding the dog will be? As you mention you will be living there afterwards you need to work out the details ahead of time (will he be allowed indoors? where in the house? what are the rules?)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Trickster is offline Senior Member

A recent thread on the subject:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,18495.0.html

The general consensus is that providing you are able to give lots of outdoor time, living in an apartment is fine. Most dogs sleep or lounge around when indoors so no, they don't "need" yards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I lived with Mocha in a one bedroom appartment for the first year I had her and she's fine. It requires a little more time on your part to take her out and make sure they have enough exercise but it's absolutly doable. You also need to be a little more cautious about crating them and destruction as it's not your property if they chew a wall or something it could cost you your deposit.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyaka
    Next year I am going to be living in an apartment that allows dogs. I'll be there for 9 months, and then I'm heading back to my parent's house. I was wondering if a young lab would do well in an apartment. I probably wouldn't buy a pup until 3 months into living in the apartment, so the pup would be living in the apartment from being a 1 month old to a 6 month old. Would living in an aparment for his first 6 months of life be appropriate? As long as I take him out to the park to exercise and play, would an apartment be big enough, or do all labs need to live in houses with yards?
    one month would be too early to bring him home. Your pup should be at least 8 weeks, which will put him at 2 months.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I forgot to ask, what do you do for a living?

Bear in mind that an 8 week old pup will need to go out at least every 2 hours (more in periods of activity) to potty. This will mean a lot of going in, out, in, out, in, out, all day every day for several months until he is capable of holding it for longer periods. If you are working/in full time education I am not sure how this will work out for you? hiring a dog walker to come in every 2 hours is not really feasible due to other working commitments they may have.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Their up keep isn't cheap either. So, if you are a full time student be sure you can handle all the expenses. From my personal experience I could not have afforded a dog when I was a full time student.

Like the others said apt. living is very much possible with a lab. As long as plenty of outdoor exercise is provided.

Good luck!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I'll echo what Bucky said. After the cost of the pup himself, in the first 2.5 months he cost me about $1200 in vet, toy, food etc. Make sure you don't have to make health/happiness decisions based on your funds.

Also, be prepared for alot of work. I just had to open the door and walk out my back door and it took alot of time. In a public place where you have to find "safe" areas outside for him to alleviate himself it will be much more labor intensive.

Having said all that, it will be a labor of love and provided you have the commitment and time it should not be an issue. My place is 3 levels and he only "lives" on one level which is probably the sq footage of an apartment. You'll have the added bonus of not having to carry him up and down three flights of stairs in the middle of the night for bathroom breaks ;D

Hmm, yes, you can do a lab puppy in an apartment. Gabby and I live in a condo- and I think Ender's Mom and Ender do as well.

The full-time student thing... It can work, but it really depends on the flexibility of your schedule, the support of people around you, and your finances. I'm a full-time student, in law school, and it took quite a bit of planning to pull it off.

My BF has the opposite schedule as me (I take classes in the evening, him during the day) and between us, Gabby was never alone for more than two hours. I couldn't have pulled it off without him and my parents watching her on the occasional night.

If you're the type of person who holes up in the library during the week before and during finals (I know I am), what are you going to do with the pup? I ended up paying a fortune in doggy day care costs and day training costs.

Do you have time to commit to a Lab for exercise/training? If you're in an apartment, that is even more important because neighbors do not appreciate barking, untrained, bored dogs.

Good luck with your decision

I live in a small apartment with Oona and she does just fine. Its about what you do with them outside of the apartment that is more important. She gets a 2 to 3 hour walk every morning. After that she sleeps the rest of the day.
    Olie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast