How do you get puppies to ignore dogs when they play with other dogs?

Thread: How do you get puppies to ignore dogs when they play with other dogs?

DefaultHow do you get puppies to ignore dogs when they play with other dogs?

Sydney is just 7 weeks old but I am starting/trying to train her now so it becomes normal for her.(our other dog we got at 8m and had issues). Besides the normal potty training we are doing I am working on sit and things of that nature. She is signed up for a class(fundamentals 1) starting April 2. She will be 3 months old then(born 1/1/07). How do I teach her to ignore other dogs since she gets to play with Maddy(our other dog) and sometimes her brother still? I know she is a puppy and a young one at that but I would like to instill her training from the very beginning and hope that she is better behaved than Maddy who picks and chooses when she wants to listen to her commands outside of the house. Thanks.

Jenny
    this is Sydney as of yesterday 7 weeks 2 days old

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do you get puppies to ignore dogs when they play with other dogs?

She's adorable. First off, she should not be near any other dogs (except your own) until she's had all her shots. I wouldn't even take her off your property until then. Secondly, you must remember that she's an infant and has the memory and attention span of a gnat. I would be gentle and just let her be a puppy for a while.

DefaultRe: How do you get puppies to ignore dogs when they play with other dogs?

We don't take her anywhere exept her brother comes and plays and then with out other dog. That is why I was asking now so when she can go out to her training class in a little over a month I will know what to do. We are letting her be a puppy but she sits when she gets a treat when she pottys so I am encouraging this along with trying to get her to do it with meal time. We mostly play train now and I am encouraging my kids to do the same so hopefully later she will know what I expect of her. Thanks.

Jenny

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I think you're going to learn that in class.

The first puppy class was mostly for socialization. They need to meet and greet other puppies/dogs, and some of them need to learn how.

At training time, the pups were all on leash and could not venture away from the owner.

Have fun.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Zoesmom, this is not a puppy class. This is a fundamentals class to learn the basic training skills, then on to fundamentals 2 class to sharpen skills then they should be ready for the CGC test. We went threw these classes with our older dog and she failed the CGC because she couldn't walk appropiately next to another dog, she wanted to play. That was her only downfall and I have yet to get her to ignore another dog. That is why I am asking you guys(the experts) on what I need to do so Sydney will pass her CGC test. The place I take my dogs to is a good place. The trainers are very accredited and show dogs or used to anyways. They are really good but I couldn't get my older dog to behave around other dogs. She was from a shelter and I don't know if that made a difference but it frustrated me and still does. So I thought I would try here to start the little one off on the right path. Thanks.

Jenny

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

She's adorable Jenny!
    :-*

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Jenny,
    our puppy class was also basic skills. Zoe went to 2 of these classes, puppy 1 and puppy 2. She received her CGC when she was 8 months.

She had no prior social skills w/other dogs when she started classes at 4 months. What she learned, she learned in "school." These classes were pre-CGC training. I hope your instructors will teach you how to train for the test.

The class went for 6 weeks. We did practice everyday, and we had another lab come to the house to practice w/Zoe. That helped.

Good luck. (sorry if I'm not much help; not an expert)
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Dani is offline Senior Member

Sounds like your other dog didn't get enough exercise and wanted to play to get it burned off. I'd start by making sure your dog get's plenty of exercise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Cute Pup!!

When it's time, teach and use NO VISIT!

Thank you everyone. Our older dog last year played in the back yard with the boys all day when they were out there or played in the kiddie pool so I thought she was getting enough exercise but maybe not. I worked with her everyday(still do cause she doesn't listen outside). I just want to make sure since we got Sydney as a tiny pup and she didn't come with the bagage Maddy did(returned to the shelter twice and abused), that we train her properly from the start and hopefully have a well mannered dog in return. Thanks again.

Jenny