pet sitters drama (yes, more!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pet sitters drama (yes, more!)

Defaultpet sitters drama (yes, more!)

Well, after this conversation: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,35009.0.html, I decided to let them see if they could find a spot for Gabby while I went ahead and made kennel reservations at the kennel my trainer works at.

The Petsitters group called me back, and they had found a spot for Gabby with one of their sitters that lives nearby. I talked to the sitter (instead of the crazy coordinator) and she was very nice, etc. She has a fenced yard and a high energy Labradoodle (sigh) so the two could play a lot. Plus, she's a stay at home mom, and Gabby would only have to be crated when she took her kids to school. Sounds great, right?

They send me the liability release...They want me to release them from any damage caused to Gabby unless they intentionally inflict the damage. So basically, they could forget about her, leave her in the backyard for the week, negligently forget to feed her, etc- and not be held responsible.

Then I read more- they want me held responsible for any and all damages she causes while there. There's no way I'm signing that. If they fail to exercise her and supervise her and she destroys their couch or favorite pair of Manolo Blahniks, I am not going to be responsible.

So I rewrote the waiver and sent it back to them. But I'm sure at this point Gabby will be staying at the kennel with my trainer (which is about 200 dollars more for the week but still)...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

DefaultRe: pet sitters drama (yes, more!)

It's really hard to find someone to care for your dogs they way they are use to be cared for. I find friends are the best pet sitters when they are available.

skippin is offline Member

I would have done the same thing. Sounds like they refuse to be responsible for anything. I had a business in pet and house sitting, and although I had a contract, it also stated what services were to be included, such as daily exercise, scheduled feedings, etc., and the owner always had the option of including other items. I am like you, I would rather pay extra for guaranteed care than pay a little less and take a chance. Have a great trip!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just read your first post, I would print it off and send it to her/his higher up!!!! Have you considered hiring a responsible teen to come and dog sit?? I have done this numerous times and it works great. Maybe someone in high school or college to come stay for the week. We always hired our babysitters which I see you don't have kids but you probably know someone who does...Just a thought!

Yeah, this whole thing has been a mess from the get go.

My best girlfriend was going to watch her, but she just took a new job and is gone from 6-6 everyday. So that was out.

Then people that I dog sit for were going to watch her, but their dogs got really sick- the first has renal failure, and the second has bladder cancer.

Previous times I have left her with my BF- and that's been great. He knows her as well as I do, he knows her routine, and I can call and check. But he's coming on the trip too.

I checked into other pet sitters groups, but they do "visits"- 7am, 12 pm, 6pm, and 10pm- and I really want someone with her all the time.

Coles Mom Guest

When I needed help with Cole, I sent flyers around my neighborhood asking for responsible stay or work-at-home adults interested in making an extra buck. (I didn't want to have children involved due to liability issues, and not to mention that they might decide to "bring their friends over" to play with the dog) I got a call from a SAHM around the corner from me who loved dogs, and I paid her an agreed rate of $30 a week. She became one of my good friends!

I did write up an agreement for her, basically asking her to sign something stating that only she would be responsible for the dog and not allow any children/minors to come with her and that if she did I was released from any liability.

Granted, because it was somewhat informal she did forget about him a few times...once I came home to find pee, another time he held it for over ten hours. But that didn't happen often at all.

So anyway, that was my experience, maybe this is an option for you?

Oh, edited to say I just realized this was for a specific trip. In that case, I would fiind a good kennel near you. Visit the American Boarding Kennel Associate website and choose someone from there. ABKA members have to submit to surprise inspections and are held to a strict standard of cleanliness among other things. http://www.abka.com/abka/

That actually might work. I live in a condo association and there might be college kids willing to do it.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Yeah, this whole thing has been a mess from the get go.

My best girlfriend was going to watch her, but she just took a new job and is gone from 6-6 everyday. So that was out.

Then people that I dog sit for were going to watch her, but their dogs got really sick- the first has renal failure, and the second has bladder cancer.

Previous times I have left her with my BF- and that's been great. He knows her as well as I do, he knows her routine, and I can call and check. But he's coming on the trip too.

I checked into other pet sitters groups, but they do "visits"- 7am, 12 pm, 6pm, and 10pm- and I really want someone with her all the time.
    What about asking your vets office? My mom always calls the vet and they always have a tech there that will be willing to pet sit.

Oooh, the vet tech is good too. Especially since I worked there and know a lot of the techs.

Thanks for the ideas

kaytris is offline Senior Member

agree on the vet tech's.. if they don't petsit, they may know someone who does. I get alot of business from referrals from my vet.

Just out of curiosity, can you PM or email me the waiver they sent you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast