Stupid question about swimming Labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question about swimming Labs

DefaultStupid question about swimming Labs

Obviously Labs LOVE the water.

My house sits 100 feet from the ocean, with a small sandy beach that stretches about 200 yards. I know that my new pup will eventually go running into the ocean.

Should I be concerned about the dog going out too far, and not being able to make it back to shore? Should I train her on a long lead the first time she runs into the water?

Another water question.....

I always see pics of labs jumping into a lake or pond.
    How the heck do they get out of the water? Lakes and ponds don't have ladders or convenient exits like pools do. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Stupid question about swimming Labs

Re: ponds

We have ponds here. He just climbs up on the bank out of the water to get out. If a bank would be too steep, I s'pose a lab would just find a smaller bank. But mine runs into a creek that's pretty far down a bank, and he comes right back up and out the same way.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yes, you should invest in a long floatable line until he has a good recall. That way he can still have a good swim but if someting catches his eye you can reel him back in.

I agree with the post above...most ponds/lakes/rivers have banks. If there is no bank, don't let your dog swim! I learnt that the hard way with one of my own dogs. I had to slip his rope lead around his neck and literally drag him up. He was really panicing and didn't do it again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony8858
    Obviously Labs LOVE the water.

My house sits 100 feet from the ocean, with a small sandy beach that stretches about 200 yards. I know that my new pup will eventually go running into the ocean.
    I have no swimming advice, but man am I jealous! 100 feet! Nice

Dani is offline Senior Member

Lakes and ponds often have beaches like the ocean does....it's shallower on the shore than in the middle.

Train with a long line until recall is 100%.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

We live very close to the sea on the North West Coast of England, and Poppy loves swimming. The first time she went in the sea my OH said "let her go and swim, she will be fine"...i had my reservations but he was so sure. So in went a bounding Poppy and at one stage i was on the verge of sending in OH as Poppy just kept swimming and swimming and swimming (in the opposite direction to us), eventually she came back and since then has never gone "swimabouts". She loves to chase sticks in the sea, though i am careful not to throw too far out as i am still worried about currents in the tide. Poppy would prefer a 20 minute play in the sea to a 40 minute walk round the countryside!!

Michelle

The 1st time my Darla who was about 9 mos at the time jumped in a pond she sank. Lucky she was on her lease but they do have to learn the swimming movements. Nowadays she swims like a champ but her recall isn't too good and if there was a goose or seagull away from shore she would be heading for it.

Anytime we are near a pond, creek, anything, Rocket looks at me and whines - pleading for permissino to get in. He lives for the water. Fortunately, he swims back to me when I call, and I haven't had him near anything so large that he'd go out very far. Even at the lake we go to a small bay like area.

What I urge you to watch out for, however, are those unseen problems under the water, such as broken sticks sticking up that will scrape and cut up your dog's belly and legs, or tangle him up. I'm very wary of taking Rocket anywhere that I don't know what the water is like. I'd hate for him to get injured or caught up in anything and I wouldn't be able to rescue him.

As for getting out of the water, like a pool. Get in there and show him how. I taught Rocket how to climb out when he was about 4 months old. He wasn't patient enough to swim to the steps, so I had to teach him how to climb out. Fortunately our pool isn't lined with vinyl so it's not destructive.

Good luck, and let the little guy have his fun!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe has never gone far...she usually stays within 10 feet from shore; or will swim further out if I'm in the water w/her.

Yesterday she spotted a coconut floating very far away, and several times made an attempt to swim out, but I called her back in. Yes, recall is very important. She is whistle trained so I didn't have to shout...just blew the whistle and she turned right around.

Have fun!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

The more I read your replies. the more I realize how important it is to have this little pooch properly trained.

Sit, stay, roll over, etc..are real cute, but I guess the recall is one of the most important commands.

Is there a sure fire method to enforce the recall command?

I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast