Press gives lab credit for saving climbers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press gives lab credit for saving climbers

DefaultPress gives lab credit for saving climbers

Mount Hood climbers reach safety
    Black Labrador, Velvet, may have saved their lives

GOVERNMENT CAMP, Ore. - Three climbers who tumbled off a ledge on Mount Hood were taken away in an ambulance after they hiked down much of the state’s highest peak with their rescuers — and a dog who may have saved their lives.

“We’re soaking wet and freezing,” said one of two rescued women as she walked from a tracked snow vehicle to an ambulance.

One of the women, whose name was not released, was taken to a Portland hospital and being treated for a head injury, said Jim Strovink, spokesman for the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Department.

“She’s going to be fine,” he said, noting that she had walked most of the way down the mountain.

Two others, Matty Bryant, 34, a teacher in the Portland suburb of Milwaukie, and Kate Hanlon, 34, a teacher in the suburb of Wilsonville, were taken to Timberline Lodge on the mountain to rejoin five other members of the climbing party, he said.

Rescuers using an electronic locating device found the three climbers and their black Labrador, Velvet, on Monday morning in the White River Canyon, where they had holed up overnight at about 7,400 feet, officials said. The crew hiked with them down the east flank of the 11,239-foot mountain; on the way down, the climbers got into a tracked snow vehicle that took them to the ambulance.

“The dog probably saved their lives” by lying across them during the cold night, said Erik Brom, a member of the Portland Mountain Rescue team. He described the wind in the canyon as “hellacious.”

The two women left the snow vehicle first, followed by Bryant and the dog. The three climbers boarded the ambulance, and Velvet leapt in after them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Press gives lab credit for saving climbers

Awww...Velvet way to go! Such a good ending to this story...

Nick, Thanks for posting. I was very concerned for the dog because throughout the rescue they kept mentioning the people were safe but said nothing about the dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Attagirl, Velvet! I'm glad there was a good ending for them all. I would never take my dog on a venture like that.

This just goes to show you what a dog, especially a lab (somewhat cold weather dog), can handle in cold weather...

I remember a few months back people arguing that 20 degrees is too cold to leave a dog outside for hours...its just not true...these dogs can handle very extreme conditions.

boonesmom Guest

Way to go, Velvet !!!! I am so happy to hear the dog is okay and was the hero. I would definately not bring my dog mountain climbing, especially in February on Mt. Hood.

Thank goodness they are safe. WTG Velvet!

I couldn't understand them bringing the dog either, but then I thought it was probably trained to do that kind of thing. Maybe not. All they kept saying was the dog was keeping them warm and I kept thinking who is keeping the dog warm? I know my girl Fanny loves to be snuggled up warm in her blankie!

What a wonderful ending to a scary adventure.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Labs are amazing dogs, they just seem to know what they have to do and don't complain. I'm so thrilled to hear that the climbers and dog will be okay.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by silvernt15
    Nick, Thanks for posting. I was very concerned for the dog because throughout the rescue they kept mentioning the people were safe but said nothing about the dog.
    Me too...I kept wondering what was going on with the dog. I'm so glad everyone (including Velvet) will be ok.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Zamode is offline Member

Great ending to the trial, so glad the lovely Lab is well. Leave it to the pooch to do the actual saving!
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast