Letter to the editor

Thread: Letter to the editor

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultLetter to the editor

There is a letter to the editor in our local paper today that is from someone who works at an animal hospital. This letter, along with several others, was written in the aftermath of a pit bull attack that turned out ok.

I agree with the basic premise of this person's letter which is that it is the owners who make them bad dogs and train them to be vicious. They also write that it takes a special person to be a Pit Bull owner. Agree with all of that.

Now the kicker. They say their own Pit Bull "is the first to give me a 'dog hug'. My other dog, a lab, doesn't act like that."

I have no doubt, based on the letter writer's letter that their Pit Bull is probably a well behaved, well adjusted dog. I take issue with the implication about the Lab and wonder why the Lab does not show the same behavior. Goes against everything I have experienced and know others have experienced from a Lab.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Letter to the editor

Augh! I can not say much more...I really think it is how they are raised, but I am still scared of them when they come to the dog park!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have never taken Tal to the dog park yet and not sure I will. It is kind of like a free for all and you don't know who the people or dogs are.

Pits are a powerful breed and need to be handled just right. I would not be a good Pit Bull owner because I have too many negative opinions of the breed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've seen both types of Pit Bull's at the park, the bad and the good. The good are so funny and very friendly but because of their size they can be frightening but have never caused a problem.

The bad ones have been banned! And it was the way the dogs were trained, or not, which made them bad. The owners would just stand around talking and ignoring their dogs and then deny that their dogs were attacking and fighting other dogs. They were very territorial in their play and quickly wore their welcome out.

As for lack of affection from the lab, well, Fanny can be quite cold and aloof but the next minute she is a hugging, kissing fool. Just a mood........

I personally love Pitt Bulls, they are wonderful dogs!! It sucks that they get this bad rap ONLY because of irresponsible owners!! They are not that large of a dog either, actually they are considered medium sized. A lot of labs are larger than Pitt Bulls, as breed standard for them is 30-60 for a male. Yes they have the powerful body, but so do lot of other dogs. They are very social dogs too, they love people just as much as labs do! But their size is really no different, just more muscular. I understand it may have an issue with what they said about the lab, but not all labs are affectionate.

The thing that gets me is that most people assume a dog is a Pitt Bull and it really isn't. Here is a cute little test http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html No matter what kind of dog, you should always be cautious about them as ANY dog can be mean and aggressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadies Mom
    I personally love Pitt Bulls, they are wonderful dogs!! It sucks that they get this bad rap ONLY because of irresponsible owners!! They are not that large of a dog either, actually they are considered medium sized. A lot of labs are larger than Pitt Bulls, as breed standard for them is 30-60 for a male. Yes they have the powerful body, but so do lot of other dogs. They are very social dogs too, they love people just as much as labs do! But their size is really no different, just more muscular. I understand it may have an issue with what they said about the lab, but not all labs are affectionate.

The thing that gets me is that most people assume a dog is a Pitt Bull and it really isn't. Here is a cute little test http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html No matter what kind of dog, you should always be cautious about them as ANY dog can be mean and aggressive!!
    I picked him out second, my first pick was the Olde English bulldog. (man, those Cane Corsos creep me right out! they look HUGE!)

I actually think if more people (like those who would base their dog choice on a letter to the editor ) were steered away from labs, it would be a great thing for the breed.

But I definitely agree with what you wrote.