Whining
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining

DefaultWhining

Anyone elses lab whine and how do you make it stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

You need to elaborate more. Under what circumstances is he whining? IE: Is he crated & wants to get out? When he's left alone? Does he want to play? After exercise? Does he do it after feeding? When I read this in conjunction with your other post re acid reflux, the first thing that comes to mind is maybe he should be checked out by a vet.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I am not sure what kind of whining you are referring to, but here is my experience:

Bauer whines in car, but only when we are close to our destination (not sure how he knows we are close). It is simply excitement whining, so we ignore him and don't pay any attention at all when he does this. When he stops, we praise him. His whining in the car has gotten much better. Depending on where we are going, I stay in the car (ignoring him) until he stops. When he settles completely, I praise him and we get out.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Bauer whines in car, but only when we are close to our destination (not sure how he knows we are close).
    Same here. Duke also whines at the gate when leave him in the den with Dukesmom and go to the back to work on the computer.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby whines sometimes too, when we're packing for camp, or she knows her friend's coming. Sometimes if she's fretting about something, storms, she'll whine a little. I just tell her "Quiet, no whining" Or I tease her and say "Don't be a whiner". She usually quits.

Its an excitement whine for sure. I just dont know how to quiet him down. Ive tried giving him a small treat after he does quiet down but that hasnt worked.

When he knows (and he knows!) someone is coming over, he'll whine until that person gets here. Or just if the front door is open, he'll think the neighbor is coming, he'll sit in the living room, stare at the door and whine. He's an excitable dog for sure... I just need suggestions on how to get him to quiet.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I think you just have to wear him down. Waiting, and waiting while ignoring worked best for me. I sat in the parking lot at the dog park for 45 minutes once waiting for him to stop. I didn't talk to him or look at him at all, I just waited. I did have my iPod, and that helped drown out the whining. It took time, but he now knows that he is not getting out of the car in that state of mind. He does still whine a little when we pull in a parking lot, but not nearly as bad as he used to, and he stops when the car stops.

Have you tried crating him at home when you are expecting visitors? I do that if Bauer is overly excited when visitors are coming. I crate him until he calms down, as soon as he is calm I let him out.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I think you just have to wear him down. Waiting, and waiting while ignoring worked best for me. I sat in the parking lot at the dog park for 45 minutes once waiting for him to stop. I didn't talk to him or look at him at all, I just waited. I did have my iPod, and that helped drown out the whining. It took time, but he now knows that he is not getting out of the car in that state of mind. He does still whine a little when we pull in a parking lot, but not nearly as bad as he used to, and he stops when the car stops.

Have you tried crating him at home when you are expecting visitors? I do that if Bauer is overly excited when visitors are coming. I crate him until he calms down, as soon as he is calm I let him out.
    This is what I do, I ignore him. But.... everyone else gets so annoyed they start telling him to stop, be quiet. I try and explain that theyre giving him attention, so he's not gonna stop now!

I do crate him. Except he whines there too. He's a cry-baby! LOL

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

When people come over have them ignore him. If they give him attention in his excited state he will feed off that and think its okay for him to be like that with guests. You could also leash him when people come in. As for the whining in general, if ignoring doesn't work, try giving him a correction (like "no" or "shhhh" or "quitcherfreakingwhinin" ) ... anyway, good luck!

My mom's dog whines and it makes.me.insane.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

I guess Im doing all the right things, he's just super annoying! Drives me insane too.. really.. to the point where its him or me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast