Big scare with Ranger yesterday..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big scare with Ranger yesterday..

DefaultBig scare with Ranger yesterday..

Sunday was a very bad day for me and Ranger. I fed him at 6 am. At 7:15 I took him out for a potty break. He was trying to get to some weeds and sticks. I told him no and he stopped and went potty. (Of course we have 2 to 6 feet of snow all over the back yard, and he has to pick a spot with weeds that are poking through). Anyway, right after we came back inside, Ranger started getting sick. He lost all of his breakfast and ran over to drink water and lost that too (yes I picked it up, but not before he got a few drinks in). I called the emergency vet because he just would not stop getting sick. We have been struggling with diarhea since I got him February 8th also. He has acted totally normal except for that until he got sick Sunday morning. The vet wanted to see him right away. It is a half hour drive in good weather. With all the snow, it took longer. He ended up being sick one more time in the car. I felt so bad for him because he was very upset. By the time we got to the EV, he was acting his normal happy self. He had no temp at all. They thought maybe he injested a weed. (If he did, it had to be very, very small cause I was right there with him) So, they took xrays. His intestines were full of air and gas. They wanted to keep him for 4 hours and run some more tests. I would not let them keep him. I figured he would be much happier at home while I monitored him. If he wasn't acting normal, I would have let them do more tests. So, they gave him a shot for an upset stomach and put him on a bland diet. No food or water for 8 hours. He was not happy about that. He LOVES his food. He's always pawing at the food bag.

Sunday night he was to have 1/4 cup of water at 5:30 pm and 1 tsp of special canned dog food at 6 if he kept the water down. Then small amounts of food for the rest of the evening until 1/4 of the can was gone. So, he did fine. He drank the water and ate little meals until bedtime. He did fine.

Took him to my regular vet this morning. My vet gave him some Albon Tablets. He checked his stool sample and there are no more worms. He doesn't think he has any more air in his intestines either. He prescribed some special dog food to try and firm up his stools. Hopefully the pills will help any other parasites that could be in his stools and hopefully they will firm up soon.

Through all of this, Ranger has acted fine except for that 30 to 45 minutes of throwing up. That emergency vet really had me scared though. She was afraid there was a blockage even though she couldn't see through the air in his intestines. Although they said he wasn't "acting" like a pup with a blockage. She also asked me if I thought about taking Ranger through puppy classes because he had issues. He didn't like it when they were trying to make him lay down on his side for xrays. I heard him screaming and whining and crying clear in the exam room. I was ready just to go pick him up and take him home. I have been going to the same vet for close to 18 years. It is always very upsetting when I have to take my pets to someone else.

Anyway, please keep Ranger in your thoughts and prayers. Have a great day everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Big scare with Ranger yesterday..

Awww, poor little guy. I hope he's OK. I've never heard of air in the intestines.

She also asked me if I thought about taking Ranger through puppy classes because he had issues.
    Did you tell her to mind her own business? > He was obviously very stressed.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

emccase is offline Senior Member

Aww poor thing. I can imagine I would have issues too if I wasn't feeling well and being man handled Sending good thoughts to you and Ranger, get well soon!

Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is he feeling better today? I hope it was nothing serious it's always scary though. We've been through something similar with our Yorkie numerous times they can never find out what is causing it though and just say he probably ate something that he's already thrown up. After 8 times I would imagine he's thown up anything in his digestive tract.

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Awww, poor little guy. I hope he's OK. I've never heard of air in the intestines.

The air in the intestines can be from him sucking in air while getting sick. But, it was more than normal. I'm not sure if the air and gas in the intestines is the same thing. But, there was a lot there. My vet agreed that there was a lot there.

She also asked me if I thought about taking Ranger through puppy classes because he had issues.
    Did you tell her to mind her own business? > He was obviously very stressed.
    Ranger is VERY hard headed and stubborn. He only wants to do what he wants to do. But, he is only 11 weeks old. Makes me wonder if she has not been around enough young dogs. Or maybe she's only used to them being submissive because they are sick. He wasn't acting sick at all by that time. Hopefully we won't have to see that vet again.

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Emergency vet visits always stink, nobody's at their best. We've had some wild experiences with emergency vets in our area...

Thank Goodness it all sounds like it's resolving itself.
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by emccase
    Aww poor thing. I can imagine I would have issues too if I wasn't feeling well and being man handled Sending good thoughts to you and Ranger, get well soon!
    Yeah! I'm glad Ranger is doing ok. And hope he continues to be on the mend. You should have told the emergency vet that it sounded like she had issues and should go to obed class too. lol

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Ranger. I hope he feels better soon.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Hope Ranger is feeling better today.

Brookville, Pa.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I hope Ranger is feeling better soon. Big Ranger say hi to little Ranger.

Ranger is VERY hard headed and stubborn
    Must be something about that name. This sounds like my Ranger.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast