Theft of personal belongings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft of personal belongings

DefaultTheft of personal belongings

Slippers, remotes, couch pillows, placemats....

What's the appropriate level of correction? Verbal reprimands don't seem sufficient.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Theft of personal belongings

Teach "leave it".

Good luck with that. LOL!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

"Leave it" and then distract. Dogs need clear instructions. Replace whatever he has in his mouth with an appropriate toy of his.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

don't think of it as theft. it's a problem of the puppy not knowing any better.
    teach your pup which items are appropriate doggie toys. until your pup learns this concept, please pick up things of value and put them away and beyond your pup's reach.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I normally try to teach "leave it" or since I am dealing with a retriever I often try to teach them to just bring what they have taken to me. My dogs get hold of my socks all the time, thankfully they are silly enough to bring them to me! They sort of get themselves in trouble
    I busted one of mine today walking out of our bedroom with a sock and I simply called her over to me, said "bring it" and "give" and rewarded her.
    Kim

I THINK he knows it's wrong, cause he intentionally will wait for someone to see him with the offlimits item, and then proceed to try to start a game of keepaway with it!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    I THINK he knows it's wrong, cause he intentionally will wait for someone to see him with the offlimits item, and then proceed to try to start a game of keepaway with it!! ;D
    exactly, he knows thats a way you guys will play with him, its a game.

Not quite. What he knows is that it's fun when you chase him and that to get you to chase him, he has to grab something and show it to him.

Dogs love keep away. Either teach him to bring it to you (try trading your item for a treat) or ignore him until he settles down, then walk over very calmly and take it from him.

Until you teach leave it/bring it, corrections aren't really appropriate.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

it's "wrong" from your point of view, but as others have said, from your pup's perspective, taking things like socks is a fun game of keepaway. teaching skills like Leave It and Give by rewarding your pup when he offers these behaviors will be helpful for you and your pup. a lot of times, trying to "correct" the behavior in this case backfires, where your pup learns that taking particular items is a great way to gain your attention and playtime.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    "Leave it" and then distract. Dogs need clear instructions. Replace whatever he has in his mouth with an appropriate toy of his.
    This method works like a charm, at least it did with Tal. Once Tal learned what was ok to play with or chew I had no problems.

He probably thinks it is a way to initiate a game of chase with you if he has been chased down with a sok before. Tal is that way. Only occasionally is there a sock within reach that he can steal. Once I get it from him I give him a toy and play chase with him using the toy. His thefts of my sokcs are getting fewer and far between!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast