Do Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest easy?

Thread: Do Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest easy?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest easy?

Puff (5+ yrs. old) and I have a long standing daily routine.

We start every morning with a 2+ mile off leash walk in a nature preserve where she gets 30-40 retrieves. With most retrieves Puff gets a few pellets of food from her breakfast ration.

When we return home, Puff brings in the paper and the remainder of her breakfast is poured into her food dish.

I begin cooking the McCann's Irish Oatmeal and lie down on the bed to read the morning paper.

This morning I overslept and, it being Sunday, was due at pre-service choir practice so our time was between a rock and a hard place.

I decided to cut our morning walk down to 1 mile (which meant fewer retrieves).

All through the afternoon, as I tried to read the paper, Puff alternated between her "Rhino nose" ploy (lifting up the paper) followed by face licking.

Puff has trained me -- I know that this means she wants something and my guess today was that she wanted more exercise.

So we drove back to the nature preserve and Puff got another 1+ mile of exploring and retrieving.

Since then, Puff's been docile.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest easy?

Because we don't have a "set" routine, mine are not demanding about when they get their walks as long as they get them. So yes, I suppose you could say that it takes a certain amount to satisfy them. The morning walk is most important because they have a lot of pent up energy from laying low all evening/night. They are content with an hour off leash in the morning (or 45 minutes if I am running short on time) and then a shorter walk in the afternoon. Depending on how much energy I have, the afternoon walk is between 30-60 minutes. They do a lot of running/play/sniffing/exploring in this time so I don't need to go out for hours and hours.

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: Do Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest e

The daily routine sounds like this over here ...

At 8 in the morning Laika wake's me up (who needs a alarmclock anyway!) ;D

The she want's some thing to eat, and after she eat's she goes further with sleeping, leaving me behind the computer :

After two hours later (10am) she want's to go out, and just a simpel 30 minute's of walking doesnt do the trick with Laika .. she wants realy to do some thing, so "Retrieving" is a great thing to do, and chasing rabbits and birds ... well, dont even go there! :-X

Mostly we are back at 14:00 at noon, then she eat's and sleep, and at 16:00 hours, she's already to go for the next walk and to do some serious retrieving, (ball, sticks .. or what ever)

Then the next walk is at 23:00 hours in the evening over here in the park, that's the mostly simple walk i do with laika, but it also take a minimal of 1 hour of walking and retrieving ...

After the final walk, she's complete like a carpet in house, and after she eat's again, she fall in a deep sleep, until the next morning when evry thing repeat's it self 8)

And in between, i still manage to do some work to earn a living :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do Labs need a certain amount of physical exercise @day for owners to rest easy?

Yup...Rider get's testy if he hasn't gotten in enough proper exercise. But we are not on a schedule...I just know when he is bored or wants to go when he too, does the Rhino thing. We usually do some quick retrieves in the morning, some at lunch and then at night he gets a very long walk and some more retrieves. Drake and Rider have been double teaming Jason by putting their heads on his lap at about 7PM and give him the pouty look. He always gets suckered and he always takes them out into the field across the street and for a walk.

Yesterday Rider got to play with 5 labs and he got a walk. Needless to say, I had one melted pile of chocolate last night.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Caseys Mom Guest

Our usual routine is to go for an hour and a half to hour and three quarters walk leaving about 7:30 in the morning. When we have a cold spell as we have for the last few weeks, I postpone the walk until afternoon and it's much shorter. Casey certainly knows that our schedule is off and she moans and groans about that but I'm less convinced that she knows the difference between say 2 miles and 5 miles. True, she's antsier in the evening after a short walk but she's easily pacified by 10-15 minutes of intense trick practice. So is it less exercise? Less one-on-one time with mom? Less chance to do tricks and earn treats (which we do a lot of on our walks)? I'm not really sure but it does seem that mental exercise works as well as physical exercise for Casey.