Thumbs Up for the De-Skunk Recipe!! (Thank you, Labby!)

Thread: Thumbs Up for the De-Skunk Recipe!! (Thank you, Labby!)

GibsonsMom is offline Member

DefaultThumbs Up for the De-Skunk Recipe!! (Thank you, Labby!)

Well, it happened. I guess once in five years isn't much to complain about, but Gibson was sprayed by a skunk for the first time ever this morning.

SU let him out a 7AM for the first morning pee. It was already daylight. A minute later we heard the barks, followed by the unmistakable stench seeping in through the windows. Our yard is completely fenced in, so I was surprised to think a skunk may have gotten in.

I called Gibson in, just so I could be sure. I was hoping the skunk missed, but it scored a direct hit! Gib's eyes and nose looked clear, so I sent him out again because he smelled so bad.

Since skunks have never been an issue, I did not have all the ingredients on hand, so SU raced up to the pharmacy and bought the peroxide and Dawn dish soap. We mixed a batch with the baking soda in a bucket, put Gib in our bathtub, and sponged him down. As soon as every sprayed spot was soaked with the mixture, the skunk smell was completely GONE! This stuff works like a charm!! ;D

It took just one application, and after a good rinse, not even the tiniest trace of skunk smell could be found.

I found the recipe on Labby's website (THANK YOU for keeping it posted!!).

Lesson learned:

Keep a copy of the recipe on my desktop, and always have the ingredients on hand. **But remember, you can't mix and store the recipe ahead of time. It will blow up.**

Karen in RI

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thumbs Up for the De-Skunk Recipe!! (Thank you, Labby!)

I always keep peroxide on hand. My Ginger was sprayed many times in her life and Jazzy already has been hit once. I've tried many things and the peroxide worked the best for me. Glad you had success in getting the smell out.

Brookville, Pa.

labby is offline Senior Member

Glad it helped.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

My neighbor with Jack Russels swears by it. I gave her the recipe this summer.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo