NEED HELP NOW FOUNDLOST DOG DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP NOW FOUNDLOST DOG DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Tater Guest

DefaultNEED HELP NOW FOUNDLOST DOG DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Found a lost lab in my neighborhood. Can someone help me figure out what to do or give me a number for lab rescue? I have TATer and I do not have another cage to keep this dog. I have walked the street 4 times no one hasclaimed him. Going to put flyers up soon. CAN SOME ONE HELP ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! DANI do you know of lab rescue here in FLORIDA? If so please PM me.

In the mean time I will do research for a number. Will check back soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NEED HELP NOW FOUNDLOST DOG DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

You might not be able to do anything until Tuesday (since tomorrow is a holiday). On Tuesday morning, you can take the dog to a shelter or a vet's office to be scanned for a microchip. If there is a chip, lucky dog should be reunited with its owners fast. If not, I think the dog still has to go through the shelter for the statutory period waiting to be claimed. After that period is over, a rescue should be able to take the dog. At least that is how it works here.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida (LRROF):

www.labradorrescue.net

LRROF will not likely take a lab directly from you under these circumstances as it is probably someone's lost pet. We don't even take labs from the shelters into foster care until they have been there for at least three days unless they are owner surrenders (in case someone comes to claim them). I think you should take it to your local shelter. Most shelters are required to keep strays for a minimum period of time. You can contact LRROF during this time and let them know the lab is there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I picked up a lost little dog last week when it was very cold. The poor little girl was shivering and jumped in my car when I called. I started knocking on doors near where I found her, and a neighbor recognized her and pointed out her house. Maybe if you knock on doors , you may get lucky and find someone who knows him.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Please, please, try to find this dog's owner! Think how heartbroken you would be if Tater disappeared! Wouldn't you want someone to try to find you?

Is there someone who can keep the dog for you? I found a couple of "strays" in the past two years, and I didn't want to keep them here with the boys for various reasons, so I boarded them. The down side of this was, they had to get shots to be accepted into boarding. All in all, it ended up costing about $150 each time. BUT! The owners did surface in both cases, and I was fully reimbursed. So, you could roll the dice like I did and hope for the best, or you could find a friend who would be willing to watch the dog while you search.

The first thing I did was place an ad in the paper, which is usually the first place people look. That turned up one of the owners. The second thing I did was call all vets within a five or ten mile radius, and the shelters and animal control, to make a report in case someone started calling around. That turned up the other owner.

I also posted on Petfinders.com in the "Lost" section. We also have a local version and I posted there as well.

A word of caution about ads and lost dogs: Don't give a lot of free information about the dog. There are a lot of nuts out there who will call and try to pretend that they have lost a dog to get the one you have. Who knows what their motives are. Be aware. All of my ads said something like, "Found dog, area in which it was found, time it was found, call to identify." And believe me, I made them identify.

Sometimes people would call fishing for information. You could tell they were trying to get you to tell them something about the dog's coloring, age, etc., so that they could then call back and give you a perfect description. Uh uh. For example, one guy (clearly a dirtbag) called and said, "What does the dog you found look like?" I countered, "What does the dog you lost look like?" He gave me this pathetically vague description, obviously grasping at straws, and I said buh-bye.

Just know that there are people out there who will try this. :

You will know it when the right owner calls. When the owner of the GSD I found called, I listened to her for about fifteen minutes. I asked a few vague questions and let her fill in the blanks. I was sitting there nodding my head, because I knew this was the right person, but I kept quiet and didn't give away any information until I was positive I had the right person. She turned out to be a police officer, ironically, and commented that I had very good interrogation skills. I thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, let me tell you, there is nothing in the world more rewarding than returning a lost dog to its owner. The reunion brings tears to your eyes.

I hope you can help this one find its way home. God bless you for trying!!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Mybabymambo Guest

I wonder if the dog is microchiped? Does it have a collar on?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Take it to a local emergency 24-hr vet clinic and get it scanned for a microchip, leave Tater at home in the crate, strap this dog in the car or keep a leash on it so it doesn't escape when you go to get out.

Just google emergency vet clinic/hospital and your town or check the yellow pages. Our little town has three within 30 minutes, so I'm sure you'll have one

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

FWIW,
    Found dog ads are usually free in your local paper,
    Take a picture of the dog and make up a flyer for your local vets and the shelter etc.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Start going door to door.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

door to door...make phone calls to neighbors. Post "FOUND" posters.

I have received quite a few calls from concerned neighbors with lost dogs that have shown up at their door...looking to see if I know the dog and who it might belong to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast