Metal vs. Plastic Crate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal vs. Plastic Crate?

DefaultMetal vs. Plastic Crate?

Hi Everyone,

We are going to be picking our new puppy up in about 2 weeks, and are in the process of deciding on a crate. I did a search on crates on the site, and read through several pages yesterday. It seems like many people on the site prefer the metal crates for reasons like visibility and ventilation. I'd like to know what other reasons the metal might be better? We were thinking the dog might be more comfortable in the enclosed plastic crate since it is more like a den. It also seems like 42" is the most popular size. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Metal vs. Plastic Crate?

A pup can chew through a plastic crate. Also, a wire crate gives the pup a 360 view -- they like to be able to see what is going on around them. Definitely go wire.

patm is offline Senior Member

For in the house, I like a wire crate. For traveling , especially when they are younger, I like a plastic crate - seems like it would protect them more, plus they are more "portable" when your pup is small enough to fit into one that you can pick up and move. I also have the "soft-sided" crates for showing and when I take them to my parents house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I have metal crates. Originally when I got them it was because I only saw metal crates in the size that I wanted. I also wanted to get crates that fold down quickly and easily so I can take them with me. The crates I have now have double doors; one on the side and one on the end, which is convenient for placement is different rooms. They also fold up quickly. I can't say I dislike the plastic ones, I just found the metal ones more convenient.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

I use the wire crates. Zodian loved his plastic crate, he would never chew them but Lobo (my dear cat) loved to unscrew all the bolts and play with them, we went through more bolts then we could count, with Lobo slowly unscrewing the bolts and hiding them, only him and God knows where, before we had to tell Zodian that it was time for a wire crate. So to this day, plastic crates are not allowed as long as Lobo is happy and healthy. He even unscrews bolts from the kids toys (those plastic construction bolts. He's one talented kitty. ;D

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I have a 42" wire crate for Brigetta. She would be able to get out of a plastic crate and with the wire crate it folds up easily for travel.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I use wire crates both in the house and in the car. I use 36" crates.

We used the wire crate and she did great with it. I would be afraid that she'd chew through the plastic, especially as a puppy. To help her feel more secure in the early puppy stage we would cover part of it with a blanket. She adapted well to it. Oh it was easy to fold up and bring places with us too.

One of the nice things about a wire crate is that many of them (especially the lifestages brand) can come with dividers that easily move as the pup gets older/bigger.

Other pros? The dogs like seeing what's going on. There's good ventilation. They're easy to clean.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We have two wire crates (500 size) for inside the house. I liked that they came with dividers and that they provided 360-degree view. We put the crate from downstairs away since we don't need it now. But Scotty loves to sleep in his wire crate upstairs (he goes there half-way through the night usually).

I have a plastic crate (400 size) inside the car. I went with plastic over wire for the car because I want the crate to protect my car better from when Scotty shakes off water after going swimming. I think dogs get more room in wire crates of the same size as plastic crates, too.

We also use portable soft crates for shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast