Anyone else out there with a female with odd "vulva" issues? Questions!!

Thread: Anyone else out there with a female with odd "vulva" issues? Questions!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone else out there with a female with odd "vulva" issues? Questions!!

Okay...this probably should go in the health section but I know more will see it here. I was wondering if anyone else with females have issues with the vulva. :
    I hear people talk about "innies" but that is not what the vet said Abby has. She just said it was an abnormal position & conformation. :-\
    She showed me what she called "skin folds" & said they were extra. She said this could cause UTI's. She will be spayed next month but I have never heard of this. Our breeder is in Georgia for the winter but I did call her & left a message. The only thing we noticed since Abby was little was she seemed to have an odd position when she peed.
    This has never been a problem before. Now here is another question. We had pads on her with panties while she was in heat & did change them often, but I wonder if this could cause problems? We never had a female in heat before...they were always spayed at 6 months. The vet said she really didn't know if that could cause a UTI, but because the vulva was swollen, there was more of a chance for bacteria to get in, so who knows.
    These may be stupid questions but I would like to see if anyone else has any issues with this. I really don't want to get obsessed about this...but I think I am. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone else out there with a female with odd "vulva" issues? Questions!!

If she hasn't had her first heat yet don't spay her per my vet. When I first took Cinnamon in at 8 weeks he told me she had extra skin folds in the vulva area that if she had any UTIs prior to 6 months she had to go through her first heat. He said this solves the problem most of the time. Now I did have Cinnamon spay at 6 months as she never had a UTI and at 27 months never has. He suggested I keep a box of baby wipes by the door and wipe her after her first morning pee as it is the most concentrated and her last nightly one as it would be around all night. I still do this.

When my vet told me about the problem he had just spayed one of his partners dogs and had to do a skin tuck as she kept having UTI's.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone else out there with a female with odd "vulva" issues? Questions!!

Well, it wouldn't surprise me at all of the swelling of the vulva during a heat contributed to a UTI. It would make sense to me that perhaps she had a little residual urine due to the swelling, which developed a little infection because it was "sitting there".

Emma, my black girl, has a innie vulva. She has had several heats now and she still has an innie vulva, but (knocking on wood here) she has never had a UTI. I have a friend whose dog had an "oddly placed" vulva and she never had problems with it either. She went on to successfully whelp one litter with no problems at all. So, while I understand that some dogs have issues due to these type of anatomical "oddities" it doesn't always have to be so. Also, Abby is a year old or so, right? Which means that she hasn't had urinary problems for the first year of her life, so I doubt this UTI is really significant. I would just figure it was due to her swelling from her heat.

I would suggest, however, that if you are worried about her you could certainly put her on cranberry pills. These are a great holistic treatment for dogs with UTI issues and there are no ill effects associated with the pills. Also, if you are not already feeding probiotics I would suggest you consider doing so. Personally, I think all dogs fed a processed food diet really benefit from the addition of good bacteria to their digestive tract.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for your replies. I wondered about doing surgery to remove the extra folds of skin. I would not do it unless she keeps getting UTI's. The emergency vet felt that since this was her first UTI, we should take a wait & see attitude. Abby went into heat a week after her first birthday. Three days before she was to be spayed. So since this was her first UTI, is it just a coincidence she developed this after her heat cycle?
    I am going to take her to our regular vet & she what she thinks. I will also do the baby wipe thing. It won't hurt. After all of the female dogs we have had....this is the first time any has had a UTI or issues like this. : She is 13 months old now.

Added after I saw the second post. I will try the cranberry pills & probiotics. Abby will be spayed next month. The reason we waited this time was because our breeder said since Abby is a smaller lab it would be better to have her mature a bit before spaying. Usually our girls are spayed at 6 months. We waited also because the breeders females usually did not go into heat till about 15-16 months. I do hope this was a one time occurrence.

This is why I love this forum so much...there is always someone out there that has had these issues & can offer some suggestions & guidance. Abby checked out perfect healthwise...it is just the vulva issue & I guess that is not a big deal, considering all the things that it could have been.

labby is offline Senior Member

Georgie we still call the vulvas with extra folds innies.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Laura

Thanks Laura. Abby doesn't look like an innie though. I wish I could get a picture. Her vulva looks just like Molly's. The extra skin folds were posterior to her vulva. Why do I have to have labs that get weird issues? From when Abby was a puppy her vulva looked just like Molly's & Shadow's too. I guess because I was watching her for signs of being in heat, I have looked at it more. : I love your site. I am not an expert but hers looks like the picture of an "outie."
    I am going to have my vet take a look at it this week. Do you think she would have had a UTI before now if she has a true "innie?"
    You gotta love some of the subjects that come up with our labs.

labby is offline Senior Member

Robin had a weird shaped vulva. Almost tucked in at times. Didn't keep her from having babies. She just spit those suckers out!!

I'm willing to bet that the folds are causing the UTIs. Is she a vulva burier? One that buries their vulva on the ground when they pee? Those always get more UTIs than squatters. You might wipe her with baby wipes after each time she goes out as well as the cranberry.

Laura

Thanks Laura. Abby is a squatter, not a burier. I sent you two pictures via email. Please check them out. The emergency vet wrote...abnormal position & conformation of vulva.
    I won't be having any puppies...Abby is getting spayed next month.