Simon communicates ;)

Thread: Simon communicates ;)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon communicates ;)

So, the past few days Simon has been having one of his "I don't want anything to do with the crate" spells. : I just hate it when this happens, because I have no idea what causes it. Sometimes for weeks, even months at a time he will seem totally fine with it. Then randomly, he will start slinking off when you call him to go into the crate, and you find him with his head in a corner (if I don't see you, you can't see me), or standing at the back door.

The other night was a back door night. OK, I think, he must be having pee problems again. I get up, get dressed and go out back with him with a flashlight. He jumps around, thrilled that we are out back together, then just wanders around the yard with no purpose at all. : OK Simon, let's go back in. He spends the first hour or so in the crate whining pitifully. This makes you feel HORRIBLE, but he absolutely cannot be trusted outside the crate, so you just have to lie there and listen to it.

Last night it was bedtime and, again, he didn't want to go. This time he ran into the living room and got on his bed and snuggled in. Very cute, but I'm sorry, you still have to go to your crate. I cheerlead him up the stairs and into their bedroom and close the door so he can't dart back out. His exit closed off, he beelines into Angus' crate, which has a nice soft bed. Again he snuggled down and tried looking adorable.

Simon's bed was removed about a week ago when we found that he had destuffed it.

A-ha!!! You want a bed!!!

I said, "Oh Simon, come here, I have the most special bed for you, you are going to love it!" There were two beach towels in the room we had been using for when they got their Kongs, to keep them from staining their beds. I folded those up, patted them, and he went right inside. Didn't hear a peep out of him all night. ;D

So, that solved this month's mystery. Of course, there are times when he goes anti-crate and he DOES have a bed in there, so I'm sure we'll go through this again. But I just thought it was adorable the way he figured out a way to tell me what he wanted.

Angus was hysterical during all this, when Simon went into his crate and laid down. I had the bedtime treat in my hand ready to give it, and Angus was hopping around, looking at me like, "Mom he's messing me up! He's in my crate!" He would run in on top of Simon, come back out, run in and trample him again...I was in stitches trying to get Simon out so Angus could get in and get his cookie.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Simon communicates ;)

Isn't it funny how they find ways to let us know what they want???

Life would be soo boring without them!

patm is offline Senior Member

Don't you just lovem!? They sure make life interesting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I guess he did tell you he wanted a soft bed. ;D Like Simon, Abby has destuffed & ruined numerous crate pads & beds. I still don't understand it because she will be fine for weeks & then one day...for whatever reason, she ruins it. :
    She has to be crated when we are at work because she can't be trusted but at night she stays in bed with us. I don't understand it at all.

Paola is offline Senior Member

;D ;D ;D ;D

He's so sweet.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I hear you Connie. Reggie would love a soft bed in his crate but he is a persistant destuffer. He's usually good through the night itself but gets anxious in the morning if I'm not getting up quick enough for him. It's like the "okay, I'm awake now, nothing's happening, so I'll just rip this bed up". It can even be if I would get up at 4 or 5 to go the bathroom, he'll then destuff between then and when the alarm goes off at 6am. Oy vey, what a dog.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"