Ernie hates to cuddle :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie hates to cuddle :(

DefaultErnie hates to cuddle :(

:'( :'(

I guess I should be happy but I have tried to cuddle on the couch with Ernie a few times and he just hates it. He will let me pick him up and hold him for a few minutes but he much prefers to be on the floor. He will follow me around but he just prefers if I don't cuddle with him. I guess on the one hand I should be happy as he doesn't want to be on the furniture but part of me just wants to snuggle up with him because he will only be this size for such a short time.

I guess when he is all grown I will appreciate it in the fact that he won't think he is a 70 lb lap dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ernie hates to cuddle :(

Labs differ a lot.

Give it time, you may find there are certain keys or times when Ernie becomes more cuddly.

My first Lab, Bess, was SUPER cuddly and affectionate with every person she met as well as me (when a new person was not available).

Bess often liked to stretch out full length beside me with her face so close to mine that I frequently objected to breathing 2nd hand air from a Labrador and tried (often unsuccessfully) to reposition her lungs' exhaust mainfold.

My 2nd and current Lab, Puff, is quite different.

Puff prefers to monitor me from across the room. From "her" chair in the living room (a Knoll "cube" chair draped with sheets) she can scan me in the kitchen or bathroom. If i disappear out of sight for more than 5 minutes, she'll usually come searching for me.

When I've gone into the bedroom and stretched out on the bed to read the newspaper, "The New Yorker," or "Consumers Peport", she'll shortly come in, jump up, and lie down -- her preferred position being when her face is down resting on my feet.

Gradually I've been able to "wean" her to lie down a little more often with her head in the same N-S position as my head -- but her's is NEVER more than armpit height.

I've found that asking her if she'd like a belly rub sometimes is an adequate inducement for Puff to move her head from resting on my feet to getting up, rearranging position, and locating her head nearer mine.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

You may find like I did with Tal that Ernie will cuddle at certain times. Tal usually sleeps in my bed with me and when I wake up he will get really close to me. Before getting out of bed he will put his head under my chin.

When watching TV he likes to curl up at the other end of the couch. He is always nearby tho. Plus it is still pretty new to Ernie so it may take awhile too.

He is s cutie and I bet he is growing like a weed!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for; Mickey was a big cuddler when he was a 10 lbs pup. He's now a trim 89 lbs, and he still thinks he's ten pounds. He tries to get into your lap, climb up into your arms, and get snuggly at the least opportune moments. Then, when you want to cuddle, he takes it as an invitation to wrastle. :
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Huckle was never a cuddler either but I loved his "playing hard to get" ways. I used to chase him around the kitchen saying "come here and let me give you a great big squeeze!" He tried everything to keep me from catching him but in the end I always got my hug!! I know he loved it because him he never tried to break free!

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992- 4/25/2006

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

OHMIGOSH, what a cute visual I just got from that! I'd have paid good money to see video!
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Some dogs are just not cuddlers. I have two love bugs, one semi love bug and one not so loving love bug. Joker is my biggest cudler...he likes to be near me (or should that be on top of me?) at all times. Trick my Shepherd mix also likes sitting on me for cuddles. Murph is selective. Sometimes he will come over for a cuddle (although he prefers butt scratches at the base of his tail), other times he is happy to sit on his own. Then there is Maisy who is not a cuddler at all...she will move away if I 'annoy' her.

Huckle!!

Henery is cuddly only when we're in bed. Otherwise, he's content to have his butt scratched or his belly rubbed.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy isn't a cuddler most of the time either. She will sit next to us and be touching us but that is about it. The only time I can wrap my arms around her while she is sleeping is when she goes back to bed with me in the morning.

Scooter never cuddled until age 2. He got too hot, now he's a big lap dog at 6 and loves to cuddle.
    Patti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast