New to Forum - need some help with my foster dog...

Thread: New to Forum - need some help with my foster dog...

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew to Forum - need some help with my foster dog...

Hi all,

I am new to the Forum (I have been lurking for several months now). Although I am relatively new to labs, I foster for my local lab rescue group. I am mum to my beautiful chocolate girl Ellie (who I adopted through the rescue) and currently have one foster, a 6-7 year old black male. He is a pretty good dog but hasn't exactly led the life of luxury. He was fed very poor quality food at his former shelter and spent most his time in a concrete run. As a result, he has a very poor coat and dry, flakey skin with serious dandruff. ICK! He was STINKY when we first got him, despite several baths. The stink is mostly gone, but his coat is still pretty icky. He has some areas that very bare (like under his chin) as well as several "hot spots" that he picks at regularly.

I know alot of this is due to his previous poor diet and lack of exercise. I am currently feeding him a premium dry dog food as well as a raw egg once per week. I give him a tablespoon of olive oil a few times per week as well. Is there a doggie dandruff shampoo that may help? Or will having another bath just irritate his skin even more? I know labs don't need baths much - we have only bathed Ellie once when we first got her. How long should I wait before I start considering skin allergies? He doesn't seem to scratch himself much. Maybe the good diet takes a month or so to show affects to his coat? He is a bit overweight as well (which doesn't help his bum hip much) so we have been trying to give him as much exercise as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New to Forum - need some help with my foster dog...

I don't have any real experience here. I would think about give him something with omega-3 fish oils for his coat. But what I really wanted to do is bump your post up so you get some advice.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

The omega-3 oils... good start. It can take a while.
    If you must shampoo, get something with oatmeal in it. Also, lots of brushing will encourage the natural oils to come out and begin to eliminate the flakes.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I was also going to say that the new diet and lifestyle might take some time. It sounds like you have explored or considered all the avenues I'd have thought of: Fish oil, eggs, etc. Brushing is a good idea. I think just keep doing what you're doing and give it some time

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Felix Guest

I realy dont know how to write it in english, but if a dog (the labrador in this case) suffers skin or any hair problems, we have over here some: "sheep fat" with a various of flavours available, that wil be good for his skin or his hair!

I give Laika the flavour: "garlic" that's also good against vlea's and others strange creatures ;D

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What food are you feeding him? assuming you have only just got him, it will take a while for the effects of the good food to show. We are talking at least 6 weeks here. In the mean time, it sounds as though you are doing everything right. Good food + raw eggs 1-2 times a week + fish oil should really help with his coat. I bet in 6-8 weeks he will look like a different dog. Don't worry about the dandruff -- it will go away with time. Dandruff can also be stress related so you may find it subsides as he feels more settled in your home.

I wouldn't bath him any more. Bathing will only get rid of the dog smell temporarily and it will strip his coat of its natural oils. As he is now getting proper nutrition, you may find that in 6-8 weeks much of the bad smell is gone as strong doggy odor is often connected to diet.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all your good advice. I will get some fish oil caplets this week and try those as well. I guess I just need to give it some more time.

We feed Nutro Lamb and Rice - this is what I give my lab and she is very healthy with a beautiful coat. I give all my fosters the same unless they have special dietary needs.

Thanks again!

What about a fish based food?

Purina ProPlan, for example, has a salmon-based sensitive skin and stomach kibble.

I agree that bathing him more is not the best option.

Felix Guest

Just give to poor Labrador a herring! .. They love it! 8)

: