Any help would be appreciated

Thread: Any help would be appreciated

DefaultAny help would be appreciated

Please be gental. I have a 4 yr old Yellow lab. She is a great dog and I love her very much. Unfortunatley I never spayed her even though she wasn't registered. I always thought it would be nice to let her have a litter. Well recently I became friends with some people that have a Fox Red lab and they wanted to breed the two. I was seriously considering it but then I was reading more and more about it and changed my mind unfortunatley too late. So I have taken her to the vet and everything is going good the vet assures me that she is in good health. Well the time is getting close now. It should be within the next three weeks. I am building a whelping box this weekend any sugestions on that will be great. And any info anyone wants to share of personal experience on whelping would also be great. I understand that I should have not let this happen but just because you say no and your at work apparently means go ahead and bring your stud over when my bitch is in heat. Well thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Any help would be appreciated

I'm sure that someone with experience will offer some advice. Just wanted to say I hope all goes well for your girl.

Brookville, Pa.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Aw, you're not the first person to have an "oops" litter. I'm with Linda... I just hope everything goes well, your lab has a healthy litter, and you can find good homes for all the pups.

Please consider spaying your girl after this litter, okay?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scout and friends Guest

Would it not be better to find someone in your area - someone you can talk to in person - for help and guidance? A breeder or a vet who is updated on what's going on with your girl and is just a phone call away? I'm not a breeder and I know that's what you're looking for here, advice from breeders who have whelped litters, but in reading your post that's what came to my mind. The internet is great, but having someone experienced who's just a phone call away and has agreed to help - that would be such a great resource as her due date gets closer.

I don't know what the owners of the sire want or expect from this breeding, but I hope you'll screen everyone who wants one of those pups, and place them in really great forever homes. And they'll agree to spay/neuter them. (And then get your girl spayed.)

Good luck! I hope all goes well for your girl and her pups.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good luck. I would recommend getting some books on whelping puppies (get onto Amazon now and purchase The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies by Murial Lee) and see if you can find someone local who knows about breeding to be available for you. I would also make sure that as soon as you can do it, have your girl spayed.

Since this will be your first litter, you could probably get away with using a child's baby pool as a whelping area, if you can find one at this time of year....if building a box seems a bit of an ordeal (unless you are good with your hands). You should also plan on having someone home with Mom the first week because that's usually when the problems happen. You need to make sure to watch first time mom's to make sure they don't lay on their pups, thinking it's a full teat of milk.

Make sure you have your vet's number handy and the emergency vet's number handy as most times pups are whelped in the middle of the night. Do an internet search for the items you need now, and buy them and have them handy...items can include vaseline, unwaxed floss, iodine, sharp scissors, towels, pen/paper, clock, box to hold the pups, hot water bottle, news papers, forceps, scale.