Labradors and Kittens? Does it work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labradors and Kittens? Does it work?

DefaultLabradors and Kittens? Does it work?

My husband and I have a 2 year old black lab and I want to introduce a kitten into the family. He grew up around cats from 8 weeks old to about 6 months ago when we moved out of my husbands parents house where we were living at the time and as far as we could tell he doesn't mind cats, it was the cats that minded him! (they were already full grown cats when he arrived and not kittens) We've heard that cats and dogs can get along well if the cat is introduced young. Does anyone have any experience with this? My husband thinks our dog might get jealous and hurt the kitten, or accidentally hurt the kitten trying to play with it but I think he would be ok.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Labradors and Kittens? Does it work?

It really depends on the temperament of your dog. My Labradors have been around cats of all ages and we have three now and we also foster feral kittens. My dogs have a healthy respect for cats. Just do not allow your dog to chase the kitten at all and supervise in the beginning. It helps to have a room for your kitten for the first two weeks to adjust and be kept safe. We use our half bath - I set up a litterbox, food, and a bed and the kitten is put in there when we are not home ane at night and let out to play and explore while we are home. If the kitten is very confident and outgoing it only takes a week or so before they can be allowed free roam. We adopted a kitten last April - here she is when she was very small.

momof3inbc Guest

We are getting another Siamese kitty in May.... our current siamese is undecided about Maggie (but the cat is 5 yrs and has only been around the poodle and other cats). Maggie wants to be the kitty's friend soooo bad.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know someone who has gotten 2 kittens with a lab and they get along great! I would definitely get one if my husband let me. We have a cat now who was 8 months old when we got summer but when we got her they were the same size.
    The cats usually wind up being the dominant ones. I see so many big dogs afraid of little cats, it cracks me up!

Anne is offline Senior Member

There is a very special bond that can occur when you introduce a kitten to a dog. Kittens are much more receptive to a dog then an adult cat would be.

We adopted our Maggie when she was only 3-4 weeks old. Abandoned by the roadside with an upper respiratory infection. She immediately bonded to Murphy and Riley. Actually, she prefers the dogs to our other cat, Scooter.

Good luck! Take lots of pictures!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good luck. I think my Midnight just tolerates Tal. She was a stray around my place when I moved in and I just started caring for her. I know all he wants to do is play with her. A ray of hope tho...yesterday he just went up to her and nuzzled her and she let him. Then he started to chase her.. : Still it was a first!

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger gets along with cats. we have 2 indoors and then a stray outside that stays around.

I figured as much! I can't wait to show these posts to my husband. Our Lab (Shimano is his name in case you haven't already guessed!) was always trying to lick the cats at the other house, never trying to bite them but we had a few nasty scratches on his ears and under his chin from the cats over the years which required antibiotics. I think it would be good for him to have some non-human company during the day too (granted they can get along) as we both work. Thanks for your replies!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'd say they get along. These guys ADORED that little cat!

Seamus and Flynn

Puddingpup is offline Junior Member

I have an 8 week old puppy. We want to get a kitten. When is the best time to introduce a kitten to the puppy, now or when he's a little older and better trained?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast