Kidney problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney problems

Zamode is offline Member

DefaultKidney problems

Does anyone have any information to share about kidney problems? I am in tears as I type this because I am so worried for my friend. My husband took him back to the vet today to get his bloodwork redone and I know his white cell counts will be high. The vet had told me he didn't think it was anything too bad but it was an infection and he'd have to see how the cell counts came back. Buford is on Amoxicillin for ten days, 3 pills a day at 500mg each, which sounds pretty potent to me. Today was day three. I wasn't there tonight for the blood work but the vet told my husband that he doesn't think it's a tumor. He did give him the lab paperwork though and his BUN and Creatinine levels are so high, 82 and 2.7. He asked me if he had been vomiting and I told him no but he is drinking alot, having some incontinence problems, mostly overnight if he isn't out enough. He did tell me that the infection would make the toxins go back into his blood and this would make him feel sick. He is barely eating and my mood for the day depends on how he eats, today was not a good day. He gets car sick and vomited three times on the way to the vet's.

I'm just heartbroken to see him this way and I am trying to get him to eat and don't know what else to do. One day he ate pretty well and other days, barely at all. I'm wondering if we took him to the vet when it was too late. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see what he says about putting him on Calcitriol, I don't know if he has to finish the antibiotics first?

I don't want him to suffer at all or have no appetite, I feel so helpless. :'(
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kidney problems

Breathe deep -

I know things are very scary when you don't know what exactly is going on

Sometimes antibiotics can take time to kick in - and they can also put a dog off their food too

Have you tried Ensure - our Maddie liked the vanilla flavor

If it is kidney issues you will need to be care how much proteins you are feeding - but keeping dog hydrated and fortified is important when they are trying to heal.

Let us know if we can do anything

Hugs,

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I have no experience or advice. I can just send some good thoughts that he gets better soon and that it is just an infection. I can only imagine how you feel.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Zamode is offline Member

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. The vet said give him anything so he will eat so I am concerned about the proteins as well but he's barely eating meat today, let alone anything else, I don't know what to do. I will try Ensure. I am trying to remain positive and give everything some time but it's hard because if he doesn't eat and has nothing in his stomach or system, especially after vomiting, he's going to get weak. I know everyone loves their dogs but Boof is a sensitive pup. I've had several Labs in my life, the last one had cancer and that was horribly tough on me and I can't do it again with this one.

I recently found this forum and usually lurk, but I thought I would reply to your post.

Our lab had kidney problems. It started when he was 10. His levels were about what you posted. Did your vet not switch him to KD dog food? You should definitely ask about that. If he is not eating you should try the can and then try to switch him to the dry.

Whatever you do don't give him any protein. We were so worried about Zeke because he wouldn't eat we basically gave him a whole chicken over a couple of days and that make him really sick.

Our Zeke got really bad for a while and they eventually flushed his kidneys and with the KD he got much better.

Age and the kidney wear eventually took its toll on him though. But he lived a year with no real problems after the kidney flush and making sure he only ate the KD.

Good luck.

Melissa

Zamode is offline Member

Thanks so much for posting Melissa. The vet just called and said his blood cell counts are normal--we were all expecting them to be high. He really feels it's not a tumor or kidney failure but doesn't know what is going on. He said finish up the antibiotics, see how he is and call him back then and we'll take it from there. I love this vet but I did make an appointment for Monday with a clinic close in town that is bigger (my vet is on his own, out of his house. I've used him for 28 years), I don't know if we will let the medicine run its course or take him anyway. I'm thinking he should go, I do not want to wait for anything to possibly get worse. Please keep sweet Boof in your prayers. He also said his spunky activity level is good and everything else is fine so I am just hoping this will clear up....

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

You say the levels were normal today. Did that include the BUN and creatnine or just the CBC? Prayers headed out for Boof.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    You say the levels were normal today. Did that include the BUN and creatnine or just the CBC? Prayers headed out for Boof.
    +1. Those are very important numbers. I would definitely take him to the clinic on Monday. A second opinion is never a bad idea. Make sure he is getting enough fresh water and that he is urinating a good amount. If it is a kidney problem I would expect his production to drop. We had good luck feeding rice with a little boiled chicken when Kody had his kidney problems.

I am only speaking from my experience, having had Kody survive renal failure. Good thoughts and prayers for you and Boof.

skippin is offline Member

Have you had the vet check for a bladder infection or cyst?

Zamode is offline Member

Ruff n tumble, that was just for his CBC. Jeep, if you have any other advice, please PM me. I am beside myself with worry. Skippin I will mention the cyst, I am taking him to the other clinic on Monday, I have to. I will only feel better when I do all I can for him.

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers, please keep them coming. I just feel it's not his time yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast