Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney problems

DefaultRe: Kidney problems

Prayers going your way............

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There is a great yahoo group called K9Kidneys that has tons of advice for anyone whose dog has kidney disease. My dear Sam lived with chronic kidney disease for over three years before he had to be put to sleep for other reasons at 16 1/2. The BUN and creatinine numbers you posted are not THAT bad.

I'd ask your vet about subcutaneous fluids and/or an IV flush to bring the BUN down. The higher the BUN, the worse off the appetite. Look into Calcitriol to keep the Creatinine level from rising, and to virtually halt the disease. You have to order it from a specific pharmacy, but my vet worked with them and it made a HUGE difference. Check out the yahoo group called Calcitriol. The primary researcher often posts there, even though it is mostly for cats.

Research shows that Omega 3 capsules, blood pressure medication, phosphorous binders, and CoQ10 in addition to the Calcitriol can keep the disease at bay and even improve the numbers somewhat. the blood pressure medication especially, since most dogs with kidney disease have high blood pressure.

There is new research that says protein is not the bugaboo it was once thought to be for kidney disease. In fact, older dogs need high quality protein (such as boiled chicken). I used to feed Sam the KD and then give him boiled chicken.

I also recommend that you keep a spreadsheet of his blood test results. I did this for Sam and I could see when he improved and when it was obvious that an IV flush was needed (usually corresponded with really poor appetite).

Good luck, and try not to feel overwhelmed. This can be managed!

Zamode is offline Member

Kpowell, thanks so very much for all of your information. I'm going to copy some of the information from your post to bring to the vet today, he is going to a different clinic. I appreciate all of your informantion and to everyone for their prayers and thoughts. I'm vowing to do all I can for Boof to get him better and give him the love and care he deserves as he ages.

I did sign up over at Yahoo for the K9Kidney group but it said I had to be approved and I haven't heard anything yet....
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Don't worry! They will approve you shortly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12