BRANDON, Fla. - A palm-sized pet turtle and the golden retriever that gobbled it up survived the misadventure thanks to the quick actions of a 12-year-old girl, a veterinarian said.
The saga of Pepper the red-eared slider turtle and Bella the golden retriever started last week. Shelby Terihay, 12, moved her pet pond turtles indoors to protect them from a cold snap — a plan that worked well until Bella found some of the turtles in a bathtub, The Tampa Tribune reported.
A quick headcount confirmed Bella had swallowed one of the turtles. Shelby insisted on a rescue mission and, on the advice of a vet, her parents made Bella vomit. Out came Pepper, still alive despite a shattered shell and an estimated 10 minutes inside Bella's belly.
"This was definitely a first for me," veterinarian David Thomassy said.
Thomassy patched up Pepper's shell and credited Shelby with saving Bella, too.
"The turtle would definitely have caused an obstruction," Thomassy said. "Without cutting it out directly, it eventually would have killed the dog."
Oh boy!! Glad to hear turtle and dog are doing well post-procedure. ;D
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever
That's the luckiest unlucky turtle I can imagine.
Someone remind me of this next time Theo eats something really awful.
Gotta wonder what the turtle was thinking (if anything).
"One minute I'm in a bathtub. Now I'm...lunch?" :P
Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
They should re-name the turtle Jonah! I'm glad they are both ok! And of all the things our furkids have eaten I think that one really does get the prize!
Sorry Nathan. Nothing will ever surpass bum poop, not even live reptiles.Originally Posted by theoconbrio
Sorry Nathan. Nothing will ever surpass bum poop, not even live reptiles.
Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky