Fighting!!!

Thread: Fighting!!!

DefaultFighting!!!

Well not so much fighting......... here's my problem....
    We have Bandit of course and we also have a boxer named Bullet. When we first brought Bandit home Bullet was a wonderful big sister. She played nicely and shared all of her toys with him. Now and just recently she's been really mean to him. If he goes to pick up a toy on the floor she runs over and growls at him and sometimes snaps. She has bit him a couple times but never drew any blood. She will do this even if she is playing with one of her own toys. But she isn't like that with food, treats yes, but not food. She always lets him smell her food and even steal some. I dont get it. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fighting!!!

Could she be jealous? Do you give Bullet everything first? Pets, treats, food, etc? If not - you should.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i would not allow food bowl sharing. my two eat from their separate bowls only a couple of feet away from each other, and the only time they show interest in the other's bowl is when the dog is finished and walks away. we don't have a resource guarding/sharing problem with my two, so it's a moot point anyway, but with your two, i would definately keep them separated while they eat and do not allow either dog to show interest in the other's bowl.

with the toys, the way one of them is acting, i would re-train them to understand that the toys belong to you, not them. first, i would pick up all the toys and make the toys available only when i decide it's a good time for them to have them and then, pick the toys back up again when they are finished playing. start by giving one toy to each dog. when one of them tries to punish the other dog for having a toy, calmly and casually lead the dog that is being the bully into another room for a short time out. after a minute or two, give the dogs another chance to play nicely. repeat as needed or however many time you feel like. don't over do it. you can pick up both the toys, and try again another time/day.

anyway, that's what i would do.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

How old is Bandit? It could be that his puppy license has expired. Adult dogs will do that. They'll let younger dogs/pups get away with stuff up to a certain point, and then they start putting them in their place.

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Luke's approach. Those are your toys, you're the leader and you determine how everyone will interact with one-another. My Mom had a terrible time with one of her three Cairns beating up on the other male. It only resolved when she took over as leader and let them all know that she was the boss. Angus still tries to hord toys and take over everyone else's food dish, but she's right on it with a correction and he behaves again.
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

Bandit will be 5 mos on the 20th. Bullet does get everything first, and they have seperate bowls, Bandit just inhales his and then is nosey to see what she has, she does the same thing when she finishes first. we try to give them two different toys but she wants hers and his.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    How old is Bandit? It could be that his puppy license has expired. Adult dogs will do that. They'll let younger dogs/pups get away with stuff up to a certain point, and then they start putting them in their place.
    Do yoy think Bullet is thinking this way because he's a little older now?

See, I don't get into the whole ranking dogs in your house and feeding/giving attention in certain order. If this was my house, I'd correct your boxer for any aggressive displays.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    See, I don't get into the whole ranking dogs in your house and feeding/giving attention in certain order. If this was my house, I'd correct your boxer for any aggressive displays.
    That is how I feel too! but when I yell at Bullet SU is like dont yell at her she was here first. I seperate them. I put Bandit in his kennel with a treat and I give Bullet a treat in a different room.

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

My two don't fight over toys, but when Buddy was younger, there were a lot of problems between Mia and Buddy, the (little) yellow dog.

At this point, there is some tension over certain toys in our house, in particular a beanie baby spider and a headless teddy bear. There's no growling, but when Mia is feeling snarky, her ears will lay down in a funny way. This usually happens when she is tired. As soon as I see that, I take the toy away. I can tell that there is trouble brewing, and I just don't allow that in my house. My two either play nice, or they don't play. I don't worry about how they feel about it. They forget about the toy in roughly 1.2 nano seconds.

I think that Bullet is letting Bandit know that she's the boss, and that it will continue to happen until he "gets" it. As he's a lab, it may take awhile. If something, such as a toy, is causing problems between them, I'd take it away. And I agree, stop letting Bandit get in Bullet's space during meals. No one should have to worry about their dinner getting stolen. That is bad manners on Bandit's part :P. I'd distract him with something else while Bullet ate.

Having two dogs is great, but it somes with it's own set of challenges. You will find a solution that works for your circumstances.