We have a part-time 2nd Lab-PIX ADDED

Thread: We have a part-time 2nd Lab-PIX ADDED

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe have a part-time 2nd Lab-PIX ADDED

Remember Choco? The chocolate lab that we took care of while his family went on vacation? He's moving in and as of this writing, I'm not sure for how long.
    His mom is having some personal problems and last weekend, he came with some of his belongings. He stayed full time (with Mom) until yesterday. Last night, they went back to their home but only to sleep. He will be coming back every morning at 6am and staying until mom gets home from work. Soon, they will have to move out of their house. She has a place to go, but she can't take him with her. So he will be living here. It's going to break her heart but she knows he is happy here and will be loved and well cared for. At some point mid to end summer, a decision will be made whether his mom moves to another country or gets a place of her own somewhere around here. In either case, he will go with her and I'm sure I'll be crushed to see him go. If she leaves the country, I'll never see him again.
    I've grown very attached to him. He's a little over 2 yrs. now and extremely well behaved. He understands 2 languages and obeys the first time you give him a command.
    He is soooo different from Buddy. Choco is a people dog. He has to be with you whether you are sleeping, taking a shower and even when you use the toilet. Buddy sleeps alone by choice. He disappears somewhere in the house after breakfast and doesn't surface again until it's time for dinner. If you want his company, you have to beg and/or bribe.
    Buddy doesn't climb on couches or chairs. Choco thinks they are all in the house for his comfort.
    I never had to worry about leaving any type of food out. Buddy never counter surfs. Choco, on the other hand, has been known to steal whatever he can whenever he can. He seems to have an iron stomach as he has devoured large amounts of chocolate, all kinds of fruit, including peels and pits, entire pies - most recently a pumpkin and a pecan at the same time - and even a bottle of tequila that he knocked over and broke. All that happened in his other home, not here. He was able to pass it all in a couple of trips outside but never had any bad effects other than some bad breath. Buddy, on the other hand, ate one dog bone on Christmas and had an upset stomach for over a week. First diarrhea then constipation and needed medication from the vet!! I have a feeling I'm going to be on my toes over the next few months!!!
    I can't decide if Buddy is happy or sad that Choco is here. After dinner time, they interact for 15 or 20 minutes acting like most of the other labs in here, dragging each other around with one toy, each of them having one end of it.
    I watched Buddy trick Choco a few times when Choco was winning. Buddy would stop and bark. Choco would think someone was at the door and would drop the toy as if he needed an empty mouth in order to listen. Buddy would then snatch up the toy and run off with it. Choco then romps after him and it starts all over again until Buddy gets tired and wanders off to another room. Then Choco comes back to be with me.
    I'm afraid to leave them alone and unsupervised so if I need to leave the house, I leave Choco in my room which has a long hallway and a large bathroom attached to it. Buddy is free to roam the rest of the house. I think they both sleep while I'm gone but Choco gets so excited when he hears me come back that he piddles on my bedroom floor until I get to the door to open it.
    I can tell I'm going to learn first hand what it's like to have a real lab in the house. You'll probably be hearing a lot more from me over the next few months!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We have a part-time 2nd Lab

I think it is wonderful you can take care of Choco for your friend. You guys are going to have a good time. Hope you can post some pictures.
    I like having part timers in the house. It changes things up...the more the merrier.

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

I don't remember Choco, but he sounds sweet! That stinks that his mom can't take him with her, and perhaps he may end up with you In any case, that is very nice of you to take him while the decision is being made! Good luck with him. Buddy and him sound like opposite ends of the spectrum

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

How fun Pam! You have to take pictures of him and Buddy!!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

DefaultRe: We have a part-time 2nd Lab-PIX ADDED

That's great...congrats! Your first dog will get used to having him around and they will be come buds.

budbud is offline Senior Member

Pam
    yes it does sound like you will be on your toes with this Lab in the house how very caring of you to take him in and Buddy now has a Buddy of course we want to hear all about his antics to come

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

the joys of having mutliples dogs in the house... ;D
    looking forward to seeing more posts about buddy and choco! ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Aww Choco is so cute!!!!! But make sure you tell Buddy he's still my favorite.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of fun Pam! Choco is lucky to have a good place to stay until everything gets sorted out with his mom. I hope Buddy is happy to have a new "brother"! Good luck and, yes, post lots of pics!