Question about exercise, feeding and watering routine

Thread: Question about exercise, feeding and watering routine

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about exercise, feeding and watering routine

Because of my schedule the only real opportunity I have to walk the dogs is in the mornings. So our routine for quite some time has been: They wake me up about 5:30am. I get up, get dressed and take them out back to potty in our yard. I then leash them up and we go for a walk for about 40-45mins. When we get back I feed the cats, and get thier bowls ready. I take them up to my room and they eat in their crates while I shower. After I've showered I let them out for water and play. Lately however, Moose has been coming in and drinking as soon as we get back from the walk and starts whining for water as soon as he finishes eating.

I'm so paranoid about bloat that I always worry about how much water he drinks at a given time. He seems to be able to drink so much more than Sky.

For those that have a similar exercise schedule, do you feed before or after your walks. Do your dogs drink a lot after. I guess I'm also wondering if everything is okay with Moose, because it does seem like his water intake has increased. At least in the mornings.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about exercise, feeding and watering routine

If your walking is leash walking, his water intake wouldn't concern me too much. If he was doing something vigorous for that time (40-45 minutes of running, swimming, retrieving, etc.) I would only allow him a small amount of water after exercise and then offer him more after an hour. Same for feeding...although I always feed an hour before exercise rather then an hour after. My dogs would kill me if I waited until after their walk to feed them.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Thanks Trickster!

Dweck - if you read this I would be curious what you do because I know you walk Wes very early in the am as well.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

our schedule isn't the same as yours, but luke's water intake has always been more than taylor.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe gets walked at 5:15 a.m. to 5:45 a.m.
    I feed her before her walk at 4:20ish. She's been fine.

She drinks water about 2x before her walk, and once after.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

With my schedule Tal's exercise is in the afternoon. I come home, let him out to potty then we go back outside and play fetch, keep away and stuff. I bring him in after about 35 - 40 minutes. I know he is hungry and I let him play first because I know we will not have that much time if I feed him first.

I think I will cut back on his water and food after exercise though. I'll give him about half a bowl of water and half his ration of food then wait an hour and let him have more.

I wouldn't worry about bloat with leash walking. Nellie seems to be drinking a lot more lately and I am as well. I think it is because of the extra dry air and cold weather. She drinks most after her morning and evening walks.