So Morgan learned to ride skidoo this weekend :)

Thread: So Morgan learned to ride skidoo this weekend :)

DefaultSo Morgan learned to ride skidoo this weekend :)

So with all the snow we have been getting, the weather has been frustrating the sin out of people who live in the city but in the rural areas of Newfoundland, it is paradise for people who own skidoos. So Sunday I decide to pack the snow clothes, and Morgan and head out to my folk's place to enjoy the day on skidoo.

When I get there, dad says, "let's take both the dogs with us"....so sure. Now Beauty (my dad's black lab) is quite used to following dad on skidoo. When she tires of running, dad just pulls over, Beauty hops in front of him and away they go again. Unsure what Morgan would be like, I decide to try anyway. My fears it turns out were unwarraqnted. I should have known my dog would follow me anywhere.

So I hop on skidoo, I see Morgan trembling beside me and off we go. I look over and he is running alongside me. Ha!!! He is loving it. So dad pulls up alongside me and asks how fast Morgan can run. I have no idea but I always knew he was fast (he regularly outdistances larger dogs as well as greyhounds and whippets at the dog park...it is crazy). So I bump up the speed for 30 km/hr...Morgan pulls alonside...40.....he is still there...I bump it to 50 and I hear my dog grunt as he pulls alongside. Well, I don't want him to hurt himself so I slow down and give him a grin. He is such a card.

Well, we put about 50 km on the skidoo that day taking breaks when we wanted, enjoying the scenery and talking to people who were out ice fishing and such. Morgan is loving it. He got into the habit that when he got tired he would come alongside and nudge my leg. I would pull over, he would hop up and then ride. When we wanted to run, he would stand up, jump off and take off after dad. He was in heaven. All in all he must have run about 20 kms.

Well on the drive home, he passed out. He was sooooo tired. He slept solid that night. We walked the next day, and passed out again after his walk.

It was a great experience and so nice to see him completely having fun.

Here is a pic on one of the breaks about halfway through the day.

I have video of both dogs running alongside the skidoo but have not figured out how to post it. If anybody has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: So Morgan learned to ride skidoo this weekend :)

I really enjoyed the video. He must be a Newfie at heart he picked that up so quickly.
    Your Dad's lab is so pretty too. Looks like an awesome time! Emma would loveeeee this. Aidan would choose to ride the whole time i think lol

Hey there
    Sounds like you guys had alot of fun. I cant wait to get Tiller out and let her run in the woods, I miss it as much as she does.

Morgan is so handsome......looks like a great time was had by all

Cheers
    jacqui and tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    I really enjoyed the video. He must be a Newfie at heart he picked that up so quickly.
    Your Dad's lab is so pretty too. Looks like an awesome time! Emma would loveeeee this. Aidan would choose to ride the whole time i think lol
    Glad you enjoyed the video . Funny you should mention the "Newfie at heart"...we live in Newfoundland, Beauty was gotten from a local breeder however MOrgan was gotten from a breeder in Alberta (he is a rescue from a friend of a friend) but has taken to everything I do with him so well. He is a natural in boat, loves canoe rides. When I am diving, I look up and see him swimming around on the surface (nothing like being jumped on by an excited lab when you make your ascent). And now we can check off skidoo rides. He is such an adjustable dog and has fit into my life so well.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller is a Newfie
    Hey there
    Sounds like you guys had alot of fun. I cant wait to get Tiller out and let her run in the woods, I miss it as much as she does.

Morgan is so handsome......looks like a great time was had by all

Cheers
    jacqui and tiller
    Hey Jacqui....hope you and Tiller are doing well. Myself and Morgan have been walking South Brook Trail in Bowering Park a lot lately with another lab owner and friend of mine (she has two labs). Anytime you and Tiller want to come, just let me know.

Ken