Harness reccomendations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harness reccomendations?

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultHarness reccomendations?

After reading this article (http://www.guelphvet.com/index.php?v...ocid=100049479)
    that Karina posted today, and phoning our opthamologist to see if she'd heard of the study, I've decided to get Sam walking with a harness instead of using his prong.
    We tried the Halti when he was younger, and he absolutely detested it. The prong was the only thing that helped his pulling. He's pretty good now, but definately has his moments.
    I did a search, but couldn't come up with any really good topic. So, harness users: What are your recommendations for a good harness for a 5 year old one-eyed goofball of a dog with occasional pulling problems? :P

TIA!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Harness reccomendations?

We were in the U.K. when Ivy and Raleigh were young, and we used a Lupi Harness: http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/lupi.php

It definitely reduced pulling, and I never felt that it put any strain on them. We used them for years, and they did not wear or break. Good review from us!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I have a 5 year old goofball who frequent has pulling problems (only she has 2 eyes lol and I love this harness.
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...294961421&Ne=2

I had an easywalk which was great but I could never get the darn thing adjusted right
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have an almost-4-yr-old googball who does extremely well on his Sense-ation harness. It, like the EasyWalk (by the same peeps who made the GL) is a front-clip harness (vs. traditional back-clip harnesses, which actually encourage the dog to pull). The only difference between the Sense-ation harness and the EasyWalk is that the EasyWalk has a martingale-style loop at the front where the leash clips onto. This is supposed to help fit dogs who fall "in between sizes" a bit better. I've seen the EasyWalk harness at PetsMart, but our Sense-ation harness I had to order straight from the manufacturer (this was a few yrs ago).

The premise is that when the dog starts to forge ahead, gentle leash pressure will redirect their body to one side or the other (similar to the GL and their head). Because it's their body that is being redirected, there's no danger to their heads, necks or eyeballs!!

I love ours. It has made our walks so much more enjoyable. It's not an instant anti-pulling remedy... like any sort of training collar/harness, it merely gives you more control over your dog... I liken it to having power steering!! I can make Henery turn one way or another by just very gently pulling his leash one side or another. It's quite amazing.

Will he still pull if he sees/smells something really REALLY good?? Of course. But I have more control over him than if he were on a regular flat collar or a prong.

Yes, they're hard to adjust properly. It's much easier if you have two people doing it. But once it's adjusted, you shouldn't have to fiddle with it much afterwards.

That's my endorsement for the Sense-ation harness!

Thanks so much for that recommendation, Felicia.
    I was actually thinking of you when I posted this because I remember reading about the success you had with that halter, but I couldn't remember the type.
    Sam usually fits regular sizes of collars/halters etc., but I'll bring him with me of course to get fitted.
    Thanks so much!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Another vote for the easy walk harness! Jake does better in that then a prong even

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Oo! Good to hear!
    Thanks!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada

I love our Easy Walk Harness!! I can actually hold the leash in one hand and hold my daughter at the same time and not worry about her pulling us over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadies Mom
    I love our Easy Walk Harness!! I can actually hold the leash in one hand and hold my daughter at the same time and not worry about her pulling us over.
    How much did you pay for it?
    I'm looking for one.

Same here for the easy walk harness. Both Mischa and Tally use it and it does take some fidling before you get it right, but once you do...... I can handle both dogs pulling for something smelling really good to them (not that I condone this behaviour) with one hand. Who can beat that??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast