Help Me Again..

Thread: Help Me Again..

DefaultHelp Me Again..

Hey People..
    First of all I would like to thank all those who have helped me with my previous questions. and as u have guessed i have some issues again...
    Max is growing fine and will be 2 months on the 19th. Here are some questions for you..
    1. He poops all over the place and on an average day he does it 4 times...would also like to tell you that he eats around five to six times in every 24 hrs..five times in the day and sometimes he wakes up in the night and sleeps only if we feed him again..otherwise he keeps whining..so my questions on this regard is that wether it is normal to poop 4-5 times a day.
    2. I am trying to teach him bite inhibition from all the info that i got here but dont see much of a difference but must say that there is a lil difference..so what is the normal time for him to learn?
    3. i have got a collar and a leash..the collar part is good but when can i start putting him on a leash coz when i tried it once he got hyper..so a lil insite on that would be great.
    4. Max has been with me for three weeks now and he is very close to my parents as well.Now they will not be in town for a couple of weeks or more..and i am planning to shft to a friends place and will be there with max and as i have to take care of my business i would nt be able to be with him all the time so i am a lil nervous about it..so some pointers on that would be appreciated.
    thanx in advacnce and looking fwd to your knowledgeble replies..
    Max and Satish
    Many more questions to come but i am loving every moment of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help Me Again..

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus
    1. He poops all over the place and on an average day he does it 4 times...would also like to tell you that he eats around five to six times in every 24 hrs..five times in the day and sometimes he wakes up in the night and sleeps only if we feed him again..otherwise he keeps whining..so my questions on this regard is that wether it is normal to poop 4-5 times a day.
    Why on earth are you feeding him 5 times a day. That is not good. He's training you...not the other way around Stick to 3 times a day at this point. Morning, noon and dinner time. Don't feed him when he whines, take him outside at night and make him understand that bed time is bed time. You have to ignore him.

As for the pooping, if he's pooping in the house you are not taking him out enough. When a pup is up and active in the day, they have to go to the bathroom more. And it doesn't help that you are feeding him a lot of food either.

2. I am trying to teach him bite inhibition from all the info that i got here but dont see much of a difference but must say that there is a lil difference..so what is the normal time for him to learn?
    There is no normal time. You have to practice patience. Just when you think it gets better, they will start losing their baby teeth and it starts all over again. Just be persistent.

3. i have got a collar and a leash..the collar part is good but when can i start putting him on a leash coz when i tried it once he got hyper..so a lil insite on that would be great.
    Let him drag around the leash so he gets used to it.

4. Max has been with me for three weeks now and he is very close to my parents as well.Now they will not be in town for a couple of weeks or more..and i am planning to shft to a friends place and will be there with max and as i have to take care of my business i would nt be able to be with him all the time so i am a lil nervous about it..so some pointers on that would be appreciated.
    Keep the same routine that you have going (minus the 5 times a day feeding) and Max will see no difference in locales.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Maximus, Dani gave you very good advice, but as a side note, be careful when leaving a leash on for a while, specially if is not a steel one, we left our leather leash on, and she chewed and swallowed the end of it ( about 6 inches ) good thing that she barfed it a few days later, incredible but true!
    Sandy was 4.5 months at the time....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

As with anything total supervision with a leash is optimal. As FLHunter said, labs can chew about anything, so leash should only be on while you can fully supervise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus
    sometimes he wakes up in the night and sleeps only if we feed him again
    Dani's right. He's pulling your leg. There's no reason for him to eat in the middle of the night. In fact, I don't particularly encourage talking, petting, cooing, cuddling, or general excitement in the middle of the night. Get up, be extremely low-key about it, don't encourage hyper behavior, and go right back to bed after potty. He may whine a little bit, but he'll get the idea soon enough.

Don't let him train you- Labs are good at that!

1. More food = more poop. That being said I think Mocha did go about 3-4x per day when she was younger. Type of food makes a difference too when she was on Nutro Natural Choice whe went at least 4x per day where now on a different food she goes maybe twice sometimes only once. Second if he's going in the house that many times you not watching him close enough or taking him out often enough. Crate when he's not totally supervised when he's out of the crate he should be within eyesite at ALL times. The key to potty trainig is preventing the accidents from happening.

I absolutley agree with Dani only 3 meals morning noon and around 6-6:30 pm a cookie before bed is fine if anything. Labs are VERY smart when it comes to getting food if you have been feeding him in the middle of the night for a few weeks it may take a few weeks to break the habit but it must be broken now or he will expect it for life. About 3-4 months you should be able to cut out the noon meal and only feed morning and evening.

2. Biting is natural but it takes persistance to break it. Everyone involved must be consistant in the punishment. I normally grab their mouth with my hand and give a firm NO BITE then walk away and ignore them for a while. He will get the picture quickly if everyone does it every time.

3. put the collar on and let him drag the leash around for a while (always supervised) then pick up the leash and follow him around for a while. Don't really try to get him to go where you want to you mainly your just getting him used to it being on. Once he ignores that then you can try to get him to follow you.

4. With the move try to keep his schedule as much as you can. When you can't be around him CRATE him. To prevent accidents and keep him safe from eating things and getting in trouble.

Go over to the training section on the forum and read the sticky and other advice.

Cut the feeding down to 3 times a day....starting today. What brand are you feeding him? Make sure it is a high quality food that will give him all he needs.

A pup his age needs 24 hour supervision unless he is in a crate alone, no collar , no toys, no bones or chewies.