Daycare question

Thread: Daycare question

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDaycare question

I just got a call a little bit ago from Tal's daycare and the said he got bit on the ear. The put some antiseptic on it and cleaned it and that he is doing ok. I am going to keep an eye on it of course over the next couple of days. They said it did not bleed so the skin was broken.

Should I be concerned about Tal now being apprehensive about being around other dogs? I just got a voicemail and called them They are supposed to call me back in a minute.

Has this ever happened to any of yours at daycare?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daycare question

It's hard to say. I think if Elias got bit on the ear he wouldn't even notice and he's keep on playing as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    It's hard to say. I think if Elias got bit on the ear he wouldn't even notice and he's keep on playing as usual.
    Somehow I think that is the case with Tal. I know they watch them very closely. Since it did not bleed I am not too concerned about that part of the deal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Annie got nipped on her bottom lip last year at day care. They called me and asked me what I wanted done. They had her in a crate until they heard from me. When they told me it wasn't bleeding and she didn't seem to even notice it, I said "Turn her loose!" When I picked her up, I saw it, but it was no big deal at all.

Unless some dog got on top of him and was very aggressive with him, I doubt a little nip or cut is going to scare him or make him apprehensive. My mama used to say, "Hon, unless it's drippin' blood or hangin' on the floor, you ain't hurt!" j/k

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Awww. Poor Tal. I would think that if it was during "play" when Tal got hurt, he would be fine. If he had been "attacked" (which I know he wasn't) then he might be apprehensive towards that dog. I think he'll be ok. You can ask how he was after it happened- if he just kept playing or got a little spooked. Brigetta has gotten hurt during play...she has had a bloody tongue (which I think she did to herself while trying to "bite" the dogs neck), she has also cut her foot before during play. I know that Prudence has snipped at her before, but it didn't seem to phase her.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I just talked to them and apparently it happened that during play Tal's ear was on the chain link and it got nipped. They said he was running around like he always does. So I guess all's well.

I knew this was bound to happen...not alot different from our human kids...but still when it does I guess you get a little apprehensive. It probably made me more apprehensive than him...I swear nothing seems to phase him...he is always a happy goofy fellow and I want to make sure he stays that way.

Daycare can be rough'n'tumble!! Henery was in daycare from the time he was about 10 weeks old until we moved from St.Catharines a few months ago (he's now almost 4) and he got a few scrapes and bumps here and there. If it was all in play, I wouldn't worry much... however, if another dog went after him, you have a different issue.

PS. Can you post some more pics of Tal?? I'm sure he's growing like a weed!

I just came home from picking him up and if they had not said anything I would never have known the difference. They said when they were getting them ready for nap time Tal was excited (imagine that!) and so was the dog on the other side of the fence and when Tal's ear accidentally poked thru the chain link fence the other dog just snipped at it. So I don't think there is anything to worry about. He is snoozing away on my bed as I type this!

Bah I bet Tal was more annoyed about the time out from play to get ointment on it! He's a rough and tumble little guy I think it would take a lot more to throw him off his day care game.
    Glad that it was minor.

Cinnamon got her jowl nipped quite badly at doggie daycare. They called me and I was in a meeting so they left a voice mail. Then they called my parents (emergency backup) and they had already left to go shopping and then pick her up. It seems her and her best buddy Jax were both trying to catch the same ball and Jax got her black jowl area. I guess she when yelped Jax let go of the ball and started to lick her.

The took her into the grooming area and put her in a tub washed it with soap and water then peroxide. Then they used glue to close the wound (it is the same glue they use on people instead of sutures). And they called my vet and were waiting for a return call by the time I called them back. The vet called while my parents were there and said to watch for signs of infection but nothing more he would have done.

They called the next day to check on her, didn't charge me for that day and sent her a get well card with a days daycare and grooming coupon.

Cinnamon and Jax
    [img][/img]