Dam: Jenivelles Princess Tyonek
    Owner: Linda Vaughn

Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab Westminster winner. Don't look if you don't want to know

I can't find a photo of the BOB dog anywhere. Strange....

Certainly sounds "safe" if that isn't too bold of a statement coming from a novice? For some reason, I still like to see the "underdogs" (less well-known) rise up to the top- wonder if Salty Dog is like that? Any information on him?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Nice wins. I saw BOS at the SDLRC specialty last year...very nice girl.

And BOB's sire is Buzz, so no wonder there.

Glad to see my chocolate got a JAM!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

Never heard of Salty Dog?

Julie - have you ever seen dogs that are #1 for a while? Like Tabatha's Rollick at Carrowby (Aaron), Buzz, Lacey or Puffin? They are amazing. They command attention - the showmanship these dogs have is just nonstop - they smile and wag and strut. I'll never forget the first time I saw Aaron in person. I was new and saw his photos of the internet and thought "Hmmph he's nice but he looks like a ton of other dogs just as nice." When he came in the ring I just about fell off my chair. His presence was spectacular. Buzz is the same way - even though he is not "my type" I can't fault him when he's in the zone. So putting up Puffin and Buzz may seem "safe" but when they are there and they look good it's hard not to reward them.

My friend who was there didnt feel that Salty was "as specatcular" as Buzz was in his day. she said he is a very, very nice dog and did make you WANT to look at him.
    Cant wait to see some pics of him. I've googled all over and cant find any.

I saw Buzz at the Garden and he is a showman...i agre when he is in the zone...unstoppable. And hiw owner is a sweetheart too.

A very good friend of mine had the chance to bring in a Lacey son into her home. When we went to pick him up I got to meet Lacey. She is amazing and she knows it for sure. Her son carries that same trait! They are both beautiful!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    Julie - have you ever seen dogs that are #1 for a while?
    Nope. I have only been showing since the end of April last year, and I would venture to guess that the majority are not from the west coast (except for that Nick dog mentioned below). Also, the majority probably don't attend specialty shows, which is where I spend the most time (and apparently money, according to my DH!) because I enjoy the venue much more.

I saw Nick (http://www2.whidbey.com/sharay/) when I went to a local all-breed show in Ventura (he was brought down to CA since the judge at the show had given him BOB/BIS at another show before- and sure enough, he took BOB again). They are certainly a much different type of dog than those you see winning at the specialty shows- not just substance, coat, and general breed "type" but man, the angles on the majority of these guys seem to be pretty lacking it seems? Buzz does seem to have much better angles than most of these dogs in photos I see...

Oh, and I think that I also probably saw a couple of them when I was at Eukanuba this year...but Striker definitely had my vote, and as a specialty-winner as well, he was VERY well-deserving of his BOB win and represented our breed quite well in groups, too! Piper (Puffin's sister, I believe) won BOB at the first show Monty and I ever attended, the day he turned 6 months...our friend's dog won BOS, and little Monty took BOW. Then, we went (or are going?) through some "puppy uglies." LOL

I wonder how it is that these guys are trained or handled to where they "command" attention like that? I remember Nick being quite the showman, but he otherwise just looked like another generic lab when in the ring with so many of the fantastic dogs (including some pretty influential California stud dogs) for BOB that day. ???

Back to Westminster, though...
    It certainly seems to indicate that Buzz is a good producer- besides himself, he had a few sons/daughters in the ring, in addition to Salty (a large percentage of the total Ch. lab population in the ring there). I agree- he isn't quite my "type" if I can have a "type" this early in the game, but he seems to be a very nice boy and his offspring all seem to be doing well, holding true to the wonderful movement he seems to have, and improving on him in the process (the whole point of breeding, right?).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon