how would you handle this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would you handle this

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Defaulthow would you handle this

Lucy is pretty good at recall both hand and voice. We have worked very hard on this but there are times that she goes deaf and does whatever pleases Lucy. Lucy is not a pleaser..she is a hard headed freak.. :P Honestly, my Cairn has better recall and focus...and she is a terrier! And I haven't worked nearly as hard with her...I have stopped Cricket dead in her tracks chasing a chipmunk to come back to me...
    We go off leash in the woods everyday and I give Lucy alot of freedom. I know she isn't going far and I don't call her back anymore without a reason.
    So there are tons of sniffs where the coyotes and other dogs have been on the edge of the field/road at the very beginning of our walk, which Lucy is naturally very much drawn to, so I keep Lucy on leash until we are at least halfway up the field and put her in a sit stay and then I release her with an okay.
    2 days in a row she pretended like she was going to run up the hill with us, then she does an complete 180 and runs back down the field to the edge of the road and ignores me completely..yesterday I called her, she ignored me and I just waited with Cricket for a good 10 minutes for her to decide that she would join us.
    I was pissed. But I didn't correct her and we continued on our way.
    This morning, the exact same thing occured. Instead of waiting for her, I followed her calmly but briskly ...hooked her back up on the leash and we walked home and I kept her on a short leash heel until we got home with the idea that "no listen, no freedom" Is there a better way to handle this?
    I am not concerned with her running away..I get upset that she decides to completely ignore me.

just wanted to add a humorous side to this. I don't know if I am the only one who does this but when Lucy misbehaves, I get so mad, I find myself talking to her as if she is a child.."you don't know how lucky you have it Lucy, off leash hikes everyday...Lucy...you are so spoiled..why can't you behave like..so and so...all that I do for you and this is the thanks I get? blahh blahh blahh... :

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: how would you handle this

You could put her on a long line and work her that way, use it to reinforce your recall.

I would be interested in what others have to say to this as well. Morgan pulls the same thing on me every now and again...the latest was this weekend out on ski-doo. He decided to chase another skidoo when we had stopped for a break and completely ignored me.

I've been thinking that what I need to do is start re working him on recall again on a long leash around some heavy distractions and hopefully get it through his thick head that when I say come, it means immediately .

I think all dogs go through this at different stages.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

You could put her on a long line and work her that way, use it to reinforce your recall.
    That's what I would do.

And yes, I talk to my boys as if they were children, too. ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know what you're going through because Judy is hard headed too. Her recall is pretty good now but she always has to get a few more sniffs in before she comes, but she does know when she has to come. When Judy did not come when called, I put her on a leash and led her to the fenced-in yard as she was being scolded. Then I would take Mitzi to the lake off leash leaving Judy behind. After being left behind like that, she figured out that she must come when called.
    Now I feel comfortable with her off leash but I often catch myself using the monster voice calling her when she tries to get in one more sniff before comming.
    It's good to scold her. Even if she doesn't understand the words, she understands your tone and that you are not happy with her.

LOL; laughing at your "mom" talk to her. I do the same thing. And Lucy, you ARE lucky to get those off leash walks every day!
    I agree, a long lead might do the trick. I give good advice, but don't always take it for myself! Dutchie is bad bad bad on walks!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would also advise going back to a long line. Stubborn or not, having a solid recall is a must. My girl Maisy is THE most stubborn, hard headed dog I have ever owned but she still knows that come means come with no exceptions.

2 days in a row she pretended like she was going to run up the hill with us, then she does an complete 180 and runs back down the field to the edge of the road and ignores me completely
    I know what you mean about this. Mine will still try this sometimes, especially Murph if I tell him to 'LEAVE' a piece of rotting food. Very occasionally (he knows he won't get away with it!) he will continue on with us along the trail, stop, do a 360, run back and devour the food. Maisy has also done it more times than I care to remember. On the times they have done this, I leash them and keep them at a strict heel for quite some time before I release them again. Luckily they are pretty good now because they don't like being kept on the leash while the others are having fun.

So yep, long line...tasty treat and/or lots of praise for coming immediately when called...correction and instant restriant (pick up the line and keep her to heel) for not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    just wanted to add a humorous side to this. I don't know if I am the only one who does this but when Lucy misbehaves, I get so mad, I find myself talking to her as if she is a child.."you don't know how lucky you have it Lucy, off leash hikes everyday...Lucy...you are so spoiled..why can't you behave like..so and so...all that I do for you and this is the thanks I get? blahh blahh blahh... :
    This is so me, I always do this! ;D

I am glad you wrote this, so far good info!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you handled it right.

We have trained our dogs for field and hunting and therefore have taught them to work on e-collars. If we go somewhere like a big area where they can run free, they are usually wearing their electronic collars so that I can still correct them if they ignore my command.

I laughed so hard when I read your post! I can so relate :. Cassie's recall is pretty good most of the time. But she does the same thing as Lucy, especially when she's discovered a cache of cat poop. "MMMM, tasty treats!", she says, and proceeds to become stone deaf to my recall. I do the same thing as you. I have to go get her (because she's busily getting as much poop in her mouth as she can before I arrive - YUCK!), and then I leash her and keep her at heel, all the while telling her pretty much word-for-word what you tell Lucy. Except I add stuff like "How can you eat cat poop? It's so disgusting. I give you wonderful food, I make chicken liver cookies for you, and I'm so angry with you for eating poop!" She just looks at me with her tongue hanging out because she's so happy at being able to run off leash. I'm gonna start carrying my long line with me so I can reel her in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast