Need some advice/thoughts....

Thread: Need some advice/thoughts....

Zamode is offline Member

DefaultNeed some advice/thoughts....

Hello! I was recommended to this forum by my friend hark67. I hope I can babble here a bit..... I have a 12 year old mixed black Lab named Buford and he is my pride and joy. A very, very sweet, loyal, kind pup. He has always been a bit of a jealous dog even when he was #2 dog in the house but not in a vindictive or nasty way. We have a 2 year old daughter and I swore Boof would love her. Well, he doesn't. He is good with her but just doesn't want to be bothered. I no longer work but with the baby and the house, there is always something to do. Every single night I go to bed I swear I am going to make more time for Boof and wonder how much having the baby in the house has effected him. He was good up until about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3, that I've noticed.

He's lost weight and I can see his bones slightly in parts. He hasn't eaten any of his food in about 4 days now. He will eat canned food and table scraps so I feed him whatever so he has food in his belly (not cookies or that sort of thing, mind you). We took him to the vet today and are waiting for his urine and blood results to come back tomorrow. Please send prayers and good wishes, I would so appreciate it. I am confident he will be okay but never knowing 100% is eating at me. The guilt of him not getting as much attention as he used to is very heavy on me now, I fear that part of his weight loss and whatever is going on is weighing on him as well.

He does eat other things, though but has been having some incontinence issues lately but they are controlled fairly well with more visits outside. He sleeps more than he used to but I assumed both of those concerns were because of his age. He seems okay otherwise.....

My sister says don't make a mountain out of a molehill and just give him extra love and attention until you find anything out, which I have been doing. She practices Healing Touch and said she will do some on Buford when she comes out in 3 weeks. Boof loves my sis because she always has been great with the rubs.

I guess I'm just rambling, feeling guilty that maybe doggie depression may be the reason, due to the baby, that he is not exactly himself. Would it take this long, 2 years later, for that to happen? I'll know more tomorrow. The vet was doing several tests, kidneys and liver, red & white cell counts, thyroid. I believe there was another but I cannot recall.

Thanks for reading and please anyone with any thoughts, kindly reply. Thanks so much!
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some advice/thoughts....

He's 12 LOVE him as long as you can!!!! And as good as you can.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Hi Friend!
    Keeping Boof in my thoughts and sending get well wishes and a long distance squeeze for your beautiful boy. It is times like these that I wish they could talk. Just so you know I felt like I didn't spend enough time with my Huckle and I didn't even have a baby around. I think these labs are just so wonderful....even if we could spend every waking moment with them, somehow it just would not feel like enough.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well Boof sounds like a sweet heart and i think something must be up with him for you to notice a change in his personality and appitite over such a short time (3-4wks), maybe its just his age, but if he's not really eating it could be something else, i don't think it has anything to do with your toddler although he may just want to steer clear of her - at 2 years they're not very gentle sometimes and if he's not feeling well maybe he wants'/needs space?? (i have a 3 year old i have to watch like a hawk!!!) Good you've taken him to the vet - he's in my thoughts - i would give him some yummy homemade food - and plenty of love. Take care and good luck.

Just a thought and hoping this might be it. Maybe the dry dog food is stale. Some dogs won't eat it if its been around for awhile.
    Olie

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Welcome Megan's friend!
    I am sorry to hear about Boof not feeling himself and not eating. Good thoughts for Boof.
    Please don't be too hard on yourself..it sounds like you really love Boof and I am sure he knows it.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi, welcome to our forum!

I personally don't think it has anything to do with your daughter, being that she's already two. It sounds like something is going on with him. I'm so glad you took him to the vet. Prayers and good thoughts that all the tests come back OK.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I don't think this has to do with your daughter either. I would toss the remainder of the dry food out and start with a fresh bag. Maybe a different brand..i dont know what youre feeding him? What brand? Maybe a change would be good.
    There is for sure something going on though and I am sending good thoughts that it is something minor. Have you checked his teeth and mouth for ulcers? loose teeth? bad smell? maybe he is sore in his mouth or has an absess or cavity.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I agree, it doesn't sound like anything to do with your daughter. I think it's normal to feel like you don't spend enough time with your lab, especially when they suddenly aren't acting normal. I don't think that's his issue though. Hopefully his blood work comes back okay, with nothing wrong.

I would try buying new dry food, a small amount though just to see if that is the problem. Like Susan suggested, it could be his teeth, or there could be other issues at factor here. Just give him as much love and attention as you can, I'm sure he will be happy for that.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Zamode is offline Member

Thanks so much everyone for your prayers, well wishes and advice. Emma has my prayers! I did change his food today, a brand new bag but no luck so far....I'll wait awhile and see. I thought that it might be his teeth, too. The vet didn't say anything about that but I will mention it. He has late hours tonight so I will have to wait until after 5 p.m. for the results.

It takes a special kind of person to understand that your dog isn't just a dog but your family and sooo loved, so I thank you all. It is hurtful to have to watch them endure anything that causes a change for the worst or endure anything painful. So far, he's not that bad so I need to keep positive thoughts!
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~