breed standard question

Thread: breed standard question

Defaultbreed standard question

BF was watching Westminster. They were talking about the White Bull Terrier and Colored Bull Terrier- and how they're considered different breeds although they are identical except for color.

So if the bull terriers are considered separate breeds even though they are identical except for color, why aren't the labs considered separate breeds by color?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: breed standard question

Okay, I'll bite. Nobody else was answering, and I couldn't log on at work (it has been a problem for me since the forum changed "sites").

I'm new at all of this so don't have any concrete evidence, but I've heard some discussion that it has to do with "who was who" in the AKC, politically-speaking.

For instance, the cocker spaniel group is divided into 3 different colors, in spite of them all adhering to the same conformation standard. When they were deciding this, supposedly the story goes that there was a gentleman involved "at the top" (president or ???) in AKC who bred/showed cockers. Because they are allotted a relative number of championships per year, per "breed/group within the breed," when divided into three different color groups, it was good for anyone who breeds/shows cockers since it means that it is all that much more likely that your dogs will earn their championships.

My thought is that I just don't think anyone in labs has wanted to dive into all of that bureaucracy, so even though there are more labs registered with AKC than any other breed each year, and the numbers at shows are absolutely insane (that is why earning an AKC Ch is so difficult in labs), all three colors will probably always end up competing against each other. :-\

Just what I've heard (the cocker story)...and an opinion or two.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I have heard the same...basically politics.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

The LRC does not want the Lab judged by color so they will never approve making a variety of Lab based on color. When you start judging only by color, the quality in the other colors can go down. (this is what I was told by a former LRC board member)

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That makes sense Laura. The overall quality of labs has nothing to do with color, so that makes sense. And since the LRC is the one that sets the standards...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    The LRC does not want the Lab judged by color so they will never approve making a variety of Lab based on color. When you start judging only by color, the quality in the other colors can go down. (this is what I was told by a former LRC board member)
    I think that is true, and probably what anyone who is "reputable" in labs should really be thinking. One of the good things about the parent club is their stands on these types of subjects. However, I'm surprised that *someone,* *somewhere* hasn't looked at the other breeds and given it a try...

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

What about splitting the breed "English vs. American", or "Bench vs. Field".
    I remember reading somewhere that this was under consideration (some time ago, I believe) and the standard was revised a bit at the time. But what I can see, the standard for show dogs leans towards Bench.

Anyone know more on this?