Is this normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this normal?

I wasn't going to ask because I don't know if this is me being my typical paranoid self, but since I don't have any experience in this area, I'm going to. Over the past month I've noticed that Brigetta has become a lot more calm. Don't get me wrong, when I first come home or when someone comes over she is full of energy, but it doesn't last very long. She still gets into things...I noticed a chapstick missing this morning and ever since I started cooking she has been counter surfing nonstop (but that's another story). I've noticed that after about 10 minutes of retrieves or 30 min walking she basically sleeps the rest of the day or night. Even in the mornings now after she eats, she gets back in the bed. If I'm on the computer or something I'll call her name and she'll lift her head, look at me, then lay her head back down, or she look at me but her eyelids look heavy. I've asked the people at day care and they say she has plenty of energy while she is there. It's just very strange to me because she used to be high energy all the time and now when I see her just sleeping so much, I wonder if it's normal. She has been eating and going to the bathroom without any problems. She just turned one this month. Did any of you ever experience anything like this? Thanks.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is this normal?

Funny you should post this...
    Jeffrey asked the other day was Emma ill? That she just is not her usual high energy self. She seems to nap more, not be as full of energy or the "whirlwind" as Pat calls her. I said I had noticed it also but I chalked it up to maturing and losing some of that non-stop puppy behavior. She also is eating well, no other problems, just not as "ON" all the time as she used to be.
    I think it is exactly that...adulthood. They are maturing and acting more like calm adult dogs.
    If she is eating ok, going ok, and at day care she has the same energy, I think Bridgetta is also just maturing and turning into a labby lady.
    We took her for rabies vaccine about 3 weeks ago, and at that time they did a stool sample and checked her out...everything was fine.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I was hoping it was just her maturing. I'm bringing her to the vet Saturday to get weighed so I'll mention it to them as well.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

I find it so easy to worry about so many "little" things. They can't "tell" us what is wrong <sigh>.

Summer is like that now, you described her to the tee! I think she knows when her playtime is and when it isn't. She mostly just lays around during the day and late afternoon we do our playtime for a while and if I went on forever I think she would too! But as I type this she is just laying in the front window looking outside I called her name and she looked at me and she just went back on lookin outside! I blame it on growing up!

BudGirl8 Guest

Oh you guys are so lucky. I hope nothing is wrong with Brigetta of course, but if it's just her growing up and calming down I'm so jealous.

Billie is 2 1/2 and is still so high energy I can't contain her. There's no amount of exercise that keeps her calm for more than a few hours.

I've noticed the same thing in Bailey lately (11 months), it takes a bit more exercise for Bailey then you described with Brigetta, but still less than normal & she also calms down quicker when company comes over.
    I think adult-hood is on it's on-set!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Bruce Fogel's description of a Lab's personality in a recent book said (if I recall correctly) that they stay puppy-ish in their behavior and excitement longer than many other breeds, typically up to about age 3 1/2 years.

There's such wide variation in Labs, my guess is there won't be any one typical age at which "settling down" occurs.

My recollection of my first Lab, Bess, in this respect is a little cloudy after thirty some years, but I think she was puppyish until she was about 5, and seemed much more mature when she reached the middle of her 14 years .

Puff [YF, AKC field line (competing breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] seemed a bit less puppyish at around 3 or so years -- as long as she gets her daily early morning one hour/2 mile off-leash walk with 30-40 retrieves.

With that, she spends most of the rest of the day napping until she notices that I'm changing shoes or clothes; that sends her into entreaties, rubbing up against me, wagging her tail, licking me, to take her with me, too. Usually I do. Oh, and at 2 PM (give or take a half hour) she licks and nuzzles me to go out so she can chase after and fetch the softball I bowl on the sidewalk until she poops.

BUT the last couple afternoons, despite our usual, she's been approaching me as if to say, "I'm bored out of my mind -- let's play something!!!"

One day, I hid a variety of her training dummies around the house and had her go find them and bring them to me. Over and over. Yesterday, she was at it again so since it it was warm (above freezing), we went for a 30 minute/off-leash walk with some retrieves. Hope it's just a transient phase.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

True Bob...they are supposed to be "lightbulb" labs. Able to turn on and turn off in relation to the activity at hand.
    Emma is very much becoming that. She will still turn on the puppy charm and activity at times, but is mellow and quiet the rest of the times.

It sounds like your dogs are content and happy.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast