Opinions, please...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions, please...

DefaultOpinions, please...

I lurk more than I post, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about this so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I keep wondering if I'm doing enough for Cassie. I know what I do with her is worlds more than she got at her former home where she just stayed alone in the backyard all the time with only one tennis ball to play with and rare human contact. Here's what I do with her, more or less:
    M-F 45-60 minute walk at 7 am, then breakfast and then I go to work.
    10-15 minute walk at 1-ish, then I eat lunch and go back to work.
    45-60 minute walk at 5:30-ish, then dinner and some play with a toy.
    30-40 minute walk at 9 pm before we go to bed.
    On both days of the weekend I throw balls for her at a dog park from 8-9 am, then home. Around 3-ish I take her to a regional park where she can run off leash over the hills, splash in the creek, and frolic in the fields around the grazing cows. We hike for 1-2 hours. Dinner at 6:30-ish and 30-40 minute walk at 9 pm. I'm usually taking care of my own things in between - cleaning, laundry, reading, stuff like that. While I do those things she mostly just lays around.

So what do you all think? Am I being silly or do you think she needs more? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Opinions, please...

How old is Cassie? I have a 9 month old puppy and she gets 10-15mins in the morning and then she gets 35-40mins mid afternoon...throw in the occasional kong and training and that is enough for her. i have formed the opinion that a happy lab is one that is lead on your feet at the most inopportune moments. Fell over her this afternoon in the kitchen!!!

Michelle

5 1/2 month pld Angus seems to be pretty low maintnance too. With te current frigid weather he gets 30-40 min M-F a 5:30am, then 30 after supper plus ball. When it is temperate enough for my 2 children to walk too, he gets the 5:30am walk as well as 20 to school & back at 8am, then 20 more a 2pm, then some ball after supper until he loses interest. Weekends we like to hike so it all depends on the stamina of the kids.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wow H-Mom if your giving her 3 hours of exercise a day I would say she is a very very lucky dog.
    Olie

stacde Guest

Uh. Ellie gets two thirty minute frisbee sessions a day, and some play here or there, that's it. I'd say you're giving your pup plenty of attention. Ellie is a year and a half old, and really needs to run, so she might get hyped up occasionally if I only walked her, even if it were as often as you are.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

She's very fortunate to have so much walk and play time with you.

You'll know if she's not getting enough exercise if she starts "asking" for it.

When Zoe was a pup, enough was never enough. These days (4yrs old) she gets a 20 min walk in the a.m. and about 30 minutes run around time in the evening. seems to suit her fine.

on weekends, she could spend all day at the beach; we are there for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Cassie is beautiful!!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

*faints with exhaustion*

I'd say you are both up to snuff. Whew!!!

Seamus and Flynn

NO YOUR DOING GREAT MORE THAN I Can do :P

Oh, thank you, everybody! Cassie's 4 1/2 yo. I guess I just feel guilty and she knows it, I suppose, so maybe she plays on my feelings of guilt. "Mom, you're always cleaning (watching television, reading, crocheting, resting). I'm bored! Can't we do something?" So I'm gonna work on not feeling guilty! Thanks again.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Sounds good to me. My Tal is 7 months next Saturday and he gets minimal play or anything in the AM. He gets let out at mid-day and I play and/or train with him for 2 30-40 minute sessions when I get home. Then a walk together before turniing in for the night. He seems to be doing well with that. Plus I take him to daycare one day a week and on weekends we do lots of play/socializing. The only thing he asks me for is to play chase with him sometimes ciz he brings me his squeaky duck and drops it at my feet until I give in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast