Stinky "fishy" breath
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinky "fishy" breath

DefaultStinky "fishy" breath

Yuck! Angus has stinky breath :-X should I give him a bone more often? (he gets one or 4 times a week, but it is large and I take it away in between) I have doggy toothpaste, but I was hopoing with the bones I wouldn't need to brush often. He has chewy toys, ropes, kongs, hol-ee mol-ee balls etc. What do you do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stinky "fishy" breath

Bad breath is often (but not always) diet related. What are you feeding him?

Eukanuba large breed puppy. I was planning to switch to somehing else when he no longer required puppy food (I am looking into raw quite seriously also.) I am looking at Canidae, Eagle Pack, Innova & Californa naturals, mainly. You think it is the Euk?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It certainly could be.

When the time is right I would think about switching to one of the foods you listed. In terms of quality of ingredients, they are all a league above Eukanuba.

If Angus was an older adult dog I might suggest gum disease as a possibility but I don't think that is likely given his age. You might however want to check for broken or rotting teeth...another possible cause.

Thank you. This may sould silly, but will it be obvious if a tooth is rotting? Would he have tooth rot at 5 months? is it safe to switch before beginning adult food? His bag of Euk is almost gone, hate to buy another giant bag of what I consider to be mediocre food.

The title of your thread made me think of one thing. Is Angus scooting his rear end on the floor or licking himself back there? The only time I've ever smelled "fish breath" on Oona was when her anal glands were impacted.
    Olie

I think canidae is a good choice =)

Anyways, I just opened my puppies mouth to check on her teeth because it was smelling so bad.

Took a cloth and scrape quite a bit of dirt out.

Do you all have problems brushing your dog's teeth? It took me a lot to have hers clean, with my finger and cloth for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    The title of your thread made me think of one thing. Is Angus scooting his rear end on the floor or licking himself back there? The only time I've ever smelled "fish breath" on Oona was when her anal glands were impacted.
    Olie
    No scooting or licking that we have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by zrie
    I think canidae is a good choice =)

Anyways, I just opened my puppies mouth to check on her teeth because it was smelling so bad.

Took a cloth and scrape quite a bit of dirt out.

Do you all have problems brushing your dog's teeth? It took me a lot to have hers clean, with my finger and cloth for now.
    I guess I'll go back to daily brushing and see if that improves. Is it safe to switch foods at 5 months?

We switched to adult food before then...this is a matter of opinion but if it is a good, quality adult food, I say yes it is ok.

We were told to use 40 pounds of the puppy food and when it is gone- switch to adult food. We did and have had no problems. You really should not be having stinky breath problems at that age so I would be concerned also. I would switch to the Candidae and see if that helps. Also a good marrow bone, we let Aidan have one twice a week for about 30 minutes each time. He is about 5 months old now and the breath smells fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast