Is she ready to be crate free?

Thread: Is she ready to be crate free?

Kathryn Guest

DefaultIs she ready to be crate free?

Maggie was 3 in Sept. and has been in jail since she was 7 months old when she ate my bed > .
    I have for a while now thought it might be time to give her some freedom but I am not sure how to go about it.
    She really likes her crate and knows when I starte getting ready to run to her crate. On the other hand I have put her in my room and shut the door when I have left for a few while someone was still here but sleeping.
    She hasnt gotten into anything in a long time (other than the trash can in the kitchen. If left down its free game in their little heads..).

I want her to stay in the bedroom where she will be safe and nothing for her to get into. I do not want her having the run of the house, I can just see all kinds of things going wrong if I did that..

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is she ready to be crate free?

I started Kodi and Hoss by leaving them loose (seperately) at night in the house. Then during theday for 1/2 hour, then and hour, then 1 1/2 hours. I do have to leave them with a forzen kong or some other entertainment...at least Kodi I do. Hoss does great. Kodi can still be trusted for only 1/2 day at a time.

Belle...never. Not even 30 seconds!

I think the best thing you can do is use a baby gate. Most dogs I know don't like being in a room with the door closed. Have the crate in the bedroom with either the door off or have it secured in some way so it doesn't close. Also make sure she has access to water.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruger is almost 8 mos and he has been out of the crate a night for a long while. I still crate him when we leave, and I may have to do that for awhile. Ruger and Sidney like to play and sometimes Ruger gets a little rough, so I wouldnt want Sidney to get hurt... He does really well at night and he always has, he never went pee, in the morning he will come to my side of the bed and get me up......Good Luck....

Kathryn Guest

Neither Dakota or Maggie are crated at night, never have been. They both do VERY well.
    I was to worried to leave her out while I went to dinner tonight. I got to the front door and walked back and put her in. Its probably a good thing because we were gone for longer than I expected.
    We will try again tomorrow :-\

I left Cinnamon in the family room gated. In fact we still leave her gated to this day just because this tells her it is time to sleep. She has access to her food (she is a self regulator) and water. We leave the tv on to Disney or Animal Planet. Never had a bit of problem.

One thing you can do is leave her out and go for a walk, about 5 minutes. Do this a couple of times a day for awhile. Then increase it to ten. This will give her the feeling that yes you are gone but you are coming back. When you can be gone for an hour and a half without any damage she can be trusted to be out.
    Olie

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

WHat our son did with their dog was to first leave her out during the night. After she was used to that, then they would leave her for a few minutes while they worked outside in the yard or ran down to the store. Never more than 15 or 20 minutes. They they upped the time alone until she was staying out of her crate for hours.

They just eased her into it....never a problem.