Swallowed 6" leather leash - Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallowed 6" leather leash - Help!

DefaultSwallowed 6" leather leash - Help!

Per directions of our trainer, we had left a leather leash (5/8" wide - 6'long) hanging on our 5 month pup, during the day, idea is to pull on it to correct her when she jumps on people,etc...
    Yesterday we found the whole loop at the end chewed up (it was about 6" long), not sure if she ate in one piece or chewed it in little pieces.
    She has pottied a few times since, but now signs of any leather. She is acting normal....
    Should we worry about it, or give her anything to help her lose it?
    I'm really worried,specially reading what happened to Tiller with a toy bone!

Has it happened to anybody else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Swallowed 6" leather leash - Help!

Cinder ate the leash handle off of her leather leash. My Mom was watching her and when I came home I asked where the leash handle was and no one knew. We looked everywhere and never found it. She ended up needing surgery to remove the leash handle. It seems she had a toy in her intestines and a leash handle in her stomach (or other way around, don't remember) and they somehow became connected by a string so they couldn't go up or down. She wouldn't eat or drink and was vomitting. I would keep a close eye on your pup and if it stops eating or drinking or starts vomitting I would contact your vet right away. It wasn't immediately after the leash handle disappeared though, it wasn't being digested and took awhile to become connected with something else. Good luck.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I was told that one of the signs of blockage is a dog sitting over his/her water bowl but not drinking. Watch for that and vomiting. Take her to the vet if anything looks suspicious. Blockages are very dangerous and can be fatal.

I would not leave a leash hanging on my dog if I could not supervise him constantly, especially at such early age.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I would watch out for signs of an obstruction. Not eating and drinking or vomiting up food and/or water, or acting as if they are not feeling well. If you suspect anything, get her to a vet asap. Good luck.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Thanks for the replies, great ideas. So far none of those signs are showing.....Will keep a close eye on her for sure!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley ate part of a leash once. It stayed down for a handful of days and then he gakked it up in small chunks for about a week thereafter. SO one way or another, you should have the solution to your problem!

UPDATE! She just vomited the piece of leash! Incredible! after 4 days it just came out in one piece, almost 6'' long folded in half, we've been looking for it to come out the "other end" all this time......
    I inspected all of her toys, and found some with small cracks.... all to the trash can! Can't be too careful with this powerful chewers. I am posting this experience on the Puppy section to warn new owners about their puppies....

Thanks again for all the replies....

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is good news. It is amazing what these labs will eat. So glad it came out.

Woo hoo! Good news.

Paula is offline Senior Member

That is good to hear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast