Thinking about taking a Labrador, and have some questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking a Labrador, and have some questions

DefaultThinking about taking a Labrador, and have some questions

Hi,

I want to take a labrador, and I have some questions about having one.
    We live in apartment, and I really hate being out for long time during hot days.
    How ofetn do you take your Lab out? How long? How long can they stay at home alone while you are at work?
    What do I have to consider before taking one?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking about taking a Labrador, and have some questions

Are you considering taking a dog in particular? If so, how old is the dog? Or are you thinking of getting a puppy. An older lab can be alone for 8hrs but when you return home they will need some one on one attention (they HAVE been waiting all day) as well as exercise (see below). Puppies are a completely different ballgame.

I also live in an apt. I take Rocky out for 20mins in the morning to stretch his legs and do his business. We go for a 45mins jog when I return from work and then a 30-40mins walk in the later evening.

Weekends involve a long walk. Very long 1-2hrs on Saturdays in the winter as I can't let him loose nor can I bike/roller blade. In the summer I'll go for a roller blade to cut down on the time and give him a much better workout.
    Sundays we have flyball for 3hrs so he's generally pretty tired. but we do an hour walk in the afternoon and a 20-30mins walk in the evening anyway.

On very humid days you do have to be careful to not over-heat your dog, but they still need exercise (maybe shorter periods but more often - avoiding the hottest part of the day). But there are generally not too many of those days.

If you are not willing to walk rain or shine then please do not get a lab. I'm out there even when it's below 0F (yes, below 0) They are a working breed and even after they mellow out (say 3+years of age) they need both physical and mental stimulation. even just a one hour walk is not really "exercise" for most labs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks a lot, I will think about that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

it also depends what "sort" of labrador you get. The show-dog breed need less exdercise but can be more laid back and relaxed. The trials breed definately need more exercise. Poppy is a mix between the two and although she likes her walks, she is quite happy with quick walk in the morning and a medium walk in the afternoon.

patm is offline Senior Member

You need to do a little more research before getting a Lab, or any dog for that matter. While talking to people and asking questions is good - I think you should pick up a book on raising dogs, and one on labs in particular and do a little reading. Dogs are a lot of responsibility and take a lot of your time, energy and money. In return you get a lot of love, exercise and happiness. And what do you mean by "taking" a lab - a rescue? Buying one from a breeder? Just not sure what that meant.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Very good advice given here. You are off to a good start with asking questions but please do alot of research first. I read several books.

One of my main concerns was that I live in a one bedroom apt and I was concerned about that. My Tal is 6 months now and full of energy. In the morning I take him out for aboust 20 minutes He is crated for about 4 hours when a friend comes and lets him out and plays with him for a few minutes. Then he is crated for anothe r4 before I get home. We get a good 45 minutes in playing fetch, then keep away and chase. I take him on a 30 minute walk before bed.

On Tuesdays I take him to doggy day care. You must be prepared to spend lots of time with them because they are people dogs and give them plenty of exercise. Tal is my shadow!

I looked into the daycare, obedience classes, what I would feed him, crate training, house training etc before I ever eve got him. He was one day shy of 7 weeks when I got him.

He is a joy to me and I love every minute I spend with him. I can't imagine being without him.

But, raising and caring for a dog takes alot of work, patience, and it is not cheap. So there are alot of things to consider carefully. It is, andshould be, considered a 10 - 16 year commitment of you get a puppy.

Good luck and be sure to do your research!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You've gotten good advice. I would start at your local library ~ they are bound to have several books on labradors. Read up on the breed and then be completely honest with yourself. If you are a committed couch potato, then this is probably not the breed for you. Nothing wrong with that, of course ... you just want to make sure that you get a good fit w/ a breed that will mesh with your lifestyle.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Have to agree with everyone here. We live a very active, outdoor lifestyle, and there are day's I can't even keep up with the amount of play and work Sammi need's to be the best pup she can be. Please do the research on this breed. It is all worth the effort, but make sure you are ready!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by milomc72
    it also depends what "sort" of labrador you get. The show-dog breed need less exdercise but can be more laid back and relaxed.
    Actually this is wrong. ANY type of labrador needs a good amount of exercise...irreguardless of their breeding. They are all sporing breed dogs that were bred to be active and working dogs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yup...good advice upthread.

We live in apartment, and I really hate being out for long time during hot days.
    Hot days won't be a problem if you make the commitment to get up early in the mornings & then late in the evenings to exercise. Obviously as you live in an apartment your dog will need a mid-day potty break but I can't imagine 5 minutes out in the sun will hurt either of you.

How ofetn do you take your Lab out? How long? How long can they stay at home alone while you are at work?
    Take them out as in for exercise? for me, I take my dogs out twice a day for about an hour each. They run off leash/play/sniff and generally have a good time. In the summer they swim almost every day (no drying off on my behalf!) and I mix in a few retrieves and a bit of obedience work. They are also very content with x2 45 minute off leash walks if I can't do the full hour.

I made a long post about exercising in the 'Our Best Advice' thread in the training section -- loads of great info there. Be sure to check it out.

How long can they stay at home alone while you are at work?
    Most people who work full time would either get someone (family, friend, neighbour, etc.) to break up the time with a walk/run/play session. If that is not an option, hiring someone (dog walker) is the only way to go. Hiring a dog walker to come and take your dog out for an hour during the day will leave you with a peaceful, content and most important of all, a happy dog on your return.

What do I have to consider before taking one?
    An awful lot.

Although you may be lucky enough to get a very laid back dog (more realistic if you go the rescue route and have a good idea of the dogs personality), equally you may get a very active, high maintenance dog. High maintenance dogs owned by inactive owners don't mix. Active owners and very laid back dogs don't mix, so it is all about getting the balance.

Fast forward to 12+ years time...dogs are a lifelong commitment. I don't know anything about you, your work, your lifestyle, but as long as YOU are aware that your life will never be the same (yes, like it or not, your dog will be involved in everything you do!) you are on the right track...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast