Vets, how do you go about finding a new one?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vets, how do you go about finding a new one?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultVets, how do you go about finding a new one?

I never thought I'd have to consider going to another vet. I'm still so shocked. There is one other vet at his practice but I'm not thrilled with him. He's good and knows what he's doing, but he's got no "animal" skills if you know what I mean. My beloved Dr. Fritz would oooo and ahhhh over my dogs, he called Tucker "Mr. T". The other guys barely speaks to them at all.

So how do I go about finding a new one? I don't want to just look in the phonebook. :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vets, how do you go about finding a new one?

Can you ask around? Survey some obed classes or dog clubs in the area? Neighbors??

I'm so sorry you're being forced to find a new vet. Having a reliable and friendly vet is a godsend. Wesley LOVES his Dr. Koenig, and the feeling is mutual. The guy must be 70 years old (I live in fear of his retirement), and he'll still get down on the floor (!) to rain lovins down on Wes. But then again, Dr Koenig HAD Labs, so he's been well indoctrinated.

Good luck, Amy...

Most of my neighbors use Califon Vet which is 5 minutes away from me. I don't like them at all. I went to them initially when we first got Tango but switched to Dr. Fritz after just a few visits.

I'll find someone I'm sure. Or maybe Long Valley Vet will get a new Doc in. Actually they're going to have to if they want to survive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Yeah good luck, I JUST got through switching vets not long ago. In fact, I posted about it in one of the other forums (I think Lab health) on how to find a new vet. There were some good suggestions in there.

I really like our new one. Kinda like dweck's vet, he's an older gentlemen that will take kisses from Ty right on the mouth! He'll oooo and ahhh over him and talk to him. Its really great, especially since coming from a "farmer's vet" that just kinda held his tail up...opened his mouth, and never said a WORD to Ty or even acted like he liked him in the slightest. So, we're driving out of town for this vet and its sooooo worth it.

We found him because my mom's hair dresser "breeds" (OHHH...i know....) dogs and takes them to Dr. Love (a VERY appropriate vet's last name!). He really recommended him so thats why we went. I did hear that he's had a couple of bypasses...and might retire soon...so I am really hoping we're not in the same boat as you in a little bit! Good luck!

I asked around as well I think it's the best way. Just because others love them you may not though. I've been through a few myself with Mocha but I really like the one we go to now and they are right around the corner from out house.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I asked around as well too. I went through two other vets before I found AHA. They are AMAZING.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Isn't there some kind of recommendation site on line somewhere? I think it was mentioned here and I looked it up and Dr. Fritz was on there.

You can check the Better Business Bureau to see if there are complaints against the clinic. The emergency vet in our town had a bunch!

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I actually got lucky going through the phone book, didn't want to but most of the people around me go to our previous vet. I actually called several vets in my area and no one was answering there phones that afternoon, so I went across the river. The first one that answered the phone was the vet we go to now. I would suggest calling a couple clinics and setting up an appointment to meet and greet the staff and doctors, take your babies with you to see how they react. Or just drop by an office and look around - is the office clean, does it smell funny, are you greeted at the door or ignored? I always like to take Bailey with me if he likes the place and the people then it is a good place to be.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Our close proximity to Cornell University has brought our area a number of good vets. Do you have a local Vet college? It might be another source of information. Dr. Walsh, our vet has Labs as her dog of choice, so it was a no brainer for us. Maggie and Daisy love going to the vet.The staff and both Docs are excellent with my girls. I think the Vet techs are just as important as the Drs themselves.

Good luck, I wish I could be more help.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast