Bamboo vs Wood Flooring

Thread: Bamboo vs Wood Flooring

DefaultBamboo vs Wood Flooring

Does anyone have bamboo floors with their labs? How are these compared to wood floors? We are getting ready to install new flooring and want to see what will last best with Scout.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bamboo vs Wood Flooring

My husband and I just had bamboo installed last summer. Love the look, but it is not nearly as scratch resistant as I thought it would be. You can refinish it though, so I guess that's a plus.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

You want to buy wood flooring that has the highest "Janka" hardness number. Pine has a low number and a species like Brazillian cherry has a higher number. Of course budget and looks are the other factors.

Unfortunately all woods and their finishes aren't scratch proof. I have cherry and I will have to refinish them from time to time. Solid wood floors can be refinished quite a few times, more than engineered wood flooring.

We "live" in our house and it is by no means a show piece. I consider the scratches "character" and the fur bunnies as accents.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

LOL @ fur bunnies as accents!
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

I consider the scratches "character" and the fur bunnies as accents.
    LOL; you would definitely find character all over my house!!

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Quite a bit of character here too! lol
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Another question: I had a friend tell me to get site finished wood flooring instead of pre-finished. What do you know about that? I really like an oak wide plank that I found at Home Depot, but I see that it is pre-finished and ready for installation. Perhaps that is not solid wood?

I also live in my house -- dogs, shoes, cats, kids are all welcome. We visited someone recently who's lab actually wears little slippers in the house. I asked what was wrong with the dog's feet, and the owner said it was just to protect the wood flooring. The poor old girl had zero traction, and would just slide to a laying down position every time she tried to sit!

lol we put carpet over our hardwood floors becuase jake couldnt keep his balance and kept sliding everywhere. i agree with the 'lived in' comment as well.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seattlemom
    Another question: I had a friend tell me to get site finished wood flooring instead of pre-finished. What do you know about that? I really like an oak wide plank that I found at Home Depot, but I see that it is pre-finished and ready for installation. Perhaps that is not solid wood?
    We installed solid prefinished hardwoods in the house we live in now. We had found a species and finish we like. In the past I have used unfinished which requires sanding, staining and sealing. I would go with the prefinished it usually is equal or less cost than hiring someone to stain or seal your floors.

I prefer solid wood 3/4 inch versus engineered wood in most cases. It really depends on your situation with what you can use.
    Solid wood will look like a regular board when veiwing from the end. Engineered will look like plywood when viewing from the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattlemom
    I also live in my house -- dogs, shoes, cats, kids are all welcome. We visited someone recently who's lab actually wears little slippers in the house. I asked what was wrong with the dog's feet, and the owner said it was just to protect the wood flooring. The poor old girl had zero traction, and would just slide to a laying down position every time she tried to sit!
    If I were that Labby I would divorce my owners!
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.