He pays closer attention than I thought!

Thread: He pays closer attention than I thought!

BaileyDawg Guest

DefaultHe pays closer attention than I thought!

Every day Bailey gets three meals. I ask him if he's ready for his breakfast (lunch, dinner... you get the idea!) and he tilts his head, licks his lips, and his tail begins to wag. He watches very carefully as I measure it out (wants to ensure he's not getting ripped off, I'm sure), add warm water and allow it to soak for a few minutes. When it is ready, he always follows me to where I hide it from the cats and sits down automatically, licking his chops again until the bowl is on the floor.

Well, its lunch time, and I of course asked him if he was ready for lunch (cue tilting head, raised ears and mad tail wagging). So we go through the waiting bit, and Bailey's head ended up on my knee several times, and he even tried to climb into my lap, least I forget him and his poor, ignored meal (he's starving to death, dontcha know! : ). He's in a very mischief making mood today, so I've been mucking about with him and his favorite ball, trying to wear him out a little until Joe gets home and we take him to the park (can't take him myself right now as I've got to wait in for a heater repair man who may or may not turn up at all at some unknown point this afternoon). In the spirit of teasing play, when he began to go into his 'is it ready yet, Mom?! Come on, it's GOT to be ready by now!' routine, I just looked at him and asked him if he wanted something. He licked his lips. I said 'oh really... what do you want?' Bails 'danced' in place, getting all wiggle butt, like he's going to jump or something. I found this rather entertaining so I asked him, 'ah, you want your lunch do you?' The magic word 'lunch' and he's jumping like a jack rabbit all around me (but not ON me, 'cause Mom don't like that ). I told him I couldn't remember where I left his lunch, and just playing around I asked him, 'Where's your lunch, Bailey?' and he raced for the kitchen. Surprised, I followed him, and sure enough he'd plopped his big ol' Lab butt down right in front of the pet food cupboard, that tail still wagging 90 miles an hour! I was like this for a minute, then I laughed and told him I should have seen that coming... he could probably inventory the cupboards alphabetically heh heh

I was just playing games with him, but he certainly showed me! That pup actually listens when I talk nonsense to him all day, and has taken the 'where's your ball?!' game one step forward all on his own. I guess he just put two and two together and figured I actually wanted him to show me LOL Wait, that must mean my dog thinks I'm dumb and really forgot where his lunch was... well darn... ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: He pays closer attention than I thought!

Ha! Cute!

I wonder if my boys know where the food is. Wait, never mind. Of COURSE they do!

Bailey seems like such a cutie-pie.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Too funny; I play the "where's your ball/bone/toy" game with my Bailey too & she's great at it.
    Isn't it funny the words they pick up & recognize??!!
    My Bailey knows breakfast & supper too, but not sure if she'd show me where to get it; good idea for a game!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

;D ;D

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Great story. I do that with Kody as well. I love the dance. He starts prancing with his paws and then goes into doing circles. I have found that they understand a lot more then they let on. Kody has picked up a lot of vocabulary on our walks. He now knows left from right (which freaks people out at the park) ;D. He also knows the difference between our vehicles when it is time to go for a ride.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, it's amazing how much they pick up from just talking to them. I talk to mine all day.

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

Very Cute! Bailey is adorable.