How to get that Shiny Coat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get that Shiny Coat?

DefaultHow to get that Shiny Coat?

By looking at other member photos of their labs, I've noticed a lot of their coats seem to be really shiny (at least on the picture)
    The coat on our 5 month lab is not shiny at all..... I asked the vet recently and he mentioned that she still has "puppy hair" that it will get better....
    What do you guys suggest?
    We feed her Nutro Natural Choice Rice & Lamb for Large Breed Puppies ( Dry)

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to get that Shiny Coat?

Well, since she is yellow she is not going to ever look as shiny as a black dog will. That said, coats start from the inside-out. Feed a good quality food with lots of meat protein and a good ratio of Omega 6:3 vitamins.

And it's true, puppy coats don't tend to look as shiny as adult coats do - they are more fuzzy.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I feed Nutro's Ultra LBP and add 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil to her food at night. It has really helped with her dryness. I am really happy with her coat right now.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I use Nutro as well. Pet Supermarkets have a deal where you buy 10 bags and get one free.
    I give Buddy 2 fish oil tablets daily along with his regular vitamin and glucosamine supplements.
    As others pointed out, you have a yellow lab. They just don't shine like the blacks and chocolates.

Angus is as glossy as all get out, but I think that is mainly becuse he is black. I've never seen a yellow lab shine like a black one. Even the chocolates don't really shine quite as much. He is fed Euk large breed puppy. We will be switching to Eagle pack or Innova hen he is ready for adult food.

I give Gabs fish oil!

Bailey is the shiniest I've seen & always get the questions how do you make her coat so shine.
    Actually we haven't really done anything diet-wise to get this, just natural, but I've heard eggs do wonders in this area.

I think it is just as much genes as it is food.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Good food helps.

But like the others said...a yellow coat will never look as shiney as a black coat.

When the sun hits Buck just right I can see some shiney yellow fur...but you can't get that glossy look that blacks have
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I am always getting questions on Morgan's coat since it looks and feels so healthy. I agree with the rest that a good diet is important as well as good genes of course and a black lab with a good coat will always outshine a yellow.

What I do is feed Morgan LB TechniCal and supplement with Missing Link. Others have mentioned eggs, fish oil, etc well Missing Link is high in all the vitamines and minerals that is contained in what has been mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast