New Puppy - Diet and Behaviour!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy - Diet and Behaviour!

DefaultNew Puppy - Diet and Behaviour!

Hello!

I just got myself a 7 week old puppy, I know she's a little too young to leave her mother but she was already weaned so I thought it was fine.

Anyways, I am having some problems with her biting (how typical a question right?). I've tried to "NO!" really loudly but it never works. ("NO BITE" seems too long) I've tried to hold her muzzle together, doesn't work as well. I was told to hold it together means you're the alpha and it doesn't hurt, apparently she gets more excited altogether. Did try to spank her butt lightly, doesn't work. Now I'm scolding her a whole bunch of sentences to pretend I am really piss. If not, I am sending her out of the room to be alone in the balcony. Any comments? Oh, she's biting hard enough to draw blood now.

Because of her biting, I couldn't get her to do the "sit" command like normal dogs. I mean, I can't put the treat in front of her face and push back until she sits because she'll charge at my hand. Even if there's no treat, so it's getting annoying. I've been trying to do the "sit" command by pressing her butt down, which work most of the time but she tends to attack my hand too! -.-

I'm trying to house train her too! I got her to relieve herself in the balcony, and she can hold her bladder through the night already, but I can't get her to do it on papers. For the moment I am letting her to it there because I'm too drained trying to meet her hyperactivity, biting and what's not.

Okie, how much should I feed my labrador? I read about and according to her age and weight (about 11 lbs), she is supposed to be fed 2 cups. I'm feeding her back to basics, and the packaging says somewhere between 3/4 to 1.5 cups. But she use to eat maybe 1 cup and have gotten a little thin. But I'm trying to train her with treats (which include chocolate drops, homemade biscuits with beef and lamb oil (for the skin/coat purpose), so I presume I should feed her less if I am going to feed her with more treats right? I thought the homemade biscuits would be quite a good diet since it contents brown rice and some portions of garlic as well.

Please advise!

By the way, she's Bailey =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KLM

DefaultRe: New Puppy - Diet and Behaviour!

I'm not qualified to give any advice but just want to say she sure is cute!

There is a section about puppies and training on this board that you should check out. Lots of good threads there with plenty of good puppy advice!! Check it out!

This thread should help:
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,31505.0.html

Also, I don't know if the chocolate drops you refer to are actually chocolate- but if they are, STOP. Chocolate is extremely poisonous to dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, the chocolate drops part really jumped out at me too. As well as being toxic to dogs, remember that chocolate contains caffeine. So while that may not be the root of all the hyperactivity, I'd say it's certainly not helping!

No more chocolate!!!

Now, for the hand biting: I have a lot of experience with this. Angus was a holy terror for the first several months of his life. I tried a lot of different things, including some of the things you have tried, and what finally worked best for us was a program of just putting him in his crate when he got to be too much. Now, this meant that he spent a great deal of his first few months in the crate. : But anything physical, the muzzle-holding, tongue depressing, etc., was just interpreted as a game.

Be very careful not to become excited when she gets excited. This will only excite her further. The calmer and more still you can stay, the better. When she gets too wound, stand straight up, dramatically turn your head and/or body away from her, and become a tree. Trees are not so much fun to terrorize, so she'll get the message pretty quickly. No shouting, no jumping, and certainly no movement towards her. Be a tree. ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Okie, I just check the chocolate packaging, it has no ingredients from cocoa at all. It's specially formulated for dogs so I guess it's okie?

As far as the biting have something on hand for her to bite and offer that. We looked like intravenous drug users until Oona stopped teething.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zrie
    I'm trying to house train her too! I got her to relieve herself in the balcony, and she can hold her bladder through the night already, but I can't get her to do it on papers. For the moment I am letting her to it there because I'm too drained trying to meet her hyperactivity, biting and what's not.
    Hi there and welcome. If you are too drained now, you are going to be in for a world of wake up when her exercise needs greatly increase. Throw the papers out, get a crate and take her DOWN to grass to house break. If she's going in the house, you are already letting her win.

She's a BABY. Has the attention span of a gnat. Read the above thread about our best advise and that show get you going in the right direction.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

She is absolutely precious!! ;D What a cutie!!

Your post SO reminds me of us with our first lab puppy, Annie. I was literally ashamed to go out of the house in a short-sleeved blouse because my arms looked like I had been clearing the jungle undergrowth with all the scratches, punctures, and wounds. I walked around a LOT with my hands in my pockets so no one would see them!

And the whole trying to teach her to sit....trying to teach her anything......only to be met by snapping, biting, hyperness.....it all sounds just like us with Annie.

But our second puppy, Sally, has been an entirely different scenario. (Of course, we got her from a much, much better breeder, so that could be a major factor!) But this time, we understood from the get-go about being the alpha and stopping behaviors BEFORE they get out of control. So the whole biting, mouthing, hyperness has not been NEARLY as bad with Sally.

Of course, she is hyper and mouthy and bitey. I think every single lab puppy on the face of the earth is like that. But it's manageable. The only problem we are having is the one I posted about earlier....it's one I created myself. I didn't stop her from jumping up on our laps and legs (when we were sitting down) when she was little. Now she's almost 4 months old and BIG and the jumping on our laps is a huge problem and we have to fix. It's getting better, however.

My point is.....these behaviors CAN be controlled. Your puppy does NOT have to control you. The most effective tool I've found to stop unwanted hyper/biting/snapping behavior is to get up and totally ignore the puppy. I say, "No, I'm done." Then I get up and go somewhere else and totally ignore the puppy. She quits immediately. When I go back and sit down again, sometimes she starts it back up, but most of the time, she's off doing something else and totally forgotten that she wanted to torture me!

Also, we rough-housed with Annie a lot, and I think that added to her biting and hyperness. We haven't rough-housed with Sally, and I think that's made a big difference.

Also, please keep in mind that she will not be like this forever. She will outgrow all of this biting/hyperness.

Good luck! ;D

It is actually correct that she should pee in the balcony. Just that we want her to do it on the newspaper. Anyways I just close up more than half of the balcony and she's doing well with the papers. Just that she seems to have problem poo-ing on it. Most probably needs some time.

hahah!

Okie, I'm starting to put her back into the crate everytime she bites me or something. Now she seems to tone down a little. But once she's out of the room she tends to forget everything.

Oh no!

I smacked bailey today for biting me. I was cleaning up after her when she decide to bite me and later run over and bite me hard enough to draw blood. I just decided to smack her with quite a fair bite of strength and she darted away.

Bah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast