I need some help on explaining........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help on explaining........

DefaultI need some help on explaining........

.........why you should not breed. My family seems to think that since Bandit is a pruebred dog he should be bred. Can someone help me explain why this is not good reasoning. I tried to explain it to them but they dont understand. My mom says "what is the point in having a prubred dog if you dont breed him"? ARRRGGGG! Please heeelllllpppp!!!! TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need some help on explaining........

Quote Originally Posted by Kayte85
    My mom says "what is the point in having a prubred dog if you dont breed him"? ARRRGGGG! Please heeelllllpppp!!!! TIA
    oh for god's sake...the reason for having a pure bred dog for a pet is the same as having a mut...for a companion, a pet...a loyal and caring member of the family.

Sorry but I had someone at work say something similar to me about Tal and it frosts my arse. I'm sure you are like me...you wanted a purebred Lab because you wanted a Lab and could have a reasonable expectation of temperament and all.

I would try and explain it to them and if they don't understand, well they just don't. Maybe when they see how much your Bandit enhances your life and the relationship you have with him they will come around.

I went through that when we got Fanny, SU and his friend said it would be so cute to have Fanny's babies around. (Too many Bud Weiser's I think.)

I said it would be great, then they could take her to the vet when necessary, prepare the room for the birth, and then aid her in the birth and then take care of the puppies until they could find homes for them all, staying up all night, tending to the sick and so on. Because I wasn't doing it. Lord, I wanted to smack them both. I wanted a pet and that was responsibility enough.

Their answer? oh yeah, good point.

Just because people jump off bridges doesn't make it a good idea.

Good luck in trying to convince them, it is hard but stick to your guns!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hopefully, but they keep telling me dont neuter (sp) him (im still going to) its just annoying. I tell them all the time to go to the shelter and look at all the poor puppies that have no homes.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

The shelter reason should be good enough, really. I mean, why add to the problem of pet overpopulation? Especially by breeding a dog that there are so, so many of! How many Labs are registered with the AKC? I forget. It's astronomical.

Plus, the one and only reason to breed a dog is because you can truly better the breed. More is not necessarily better.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I have said all of these things but they just say "what about studding him out with a reputible breeder"?

You could say, "A reputable breeder would not breed with a dog who does not have all the proper clearances, a truckload of titles, and a pedigree to die for."

Really, though, you may just have to say, "OK. Shut up." They may never be able to fully understand all the reasons, but ultimately have to respect your decision to do what you think is most socially responsible.

Connie and "The Boys":

Don't get angry at your family. Think of this as an opportunity to educate them. I just went on the Petfinder website and across the country there are currently 15,365 Labrador Retrievers looking for someone to adopt them. That is 15,365 times a human dropped the ball where these dogs were concerned. How many of those dogs do you think are going to make it to a forever home? Tell your family that you are not interested in adding to this problem.
    Olie

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Some people just don't get that there are thousands of animals put down every day because there is just not enough homes. I rescue always have always will but I have close friends that do nothing put purchase and usually from a byb. They in turn have become byb's, it doesn't matter how many links I send about labs in the rescue I adopted from and the many links to others or the stories I tell, one of those being my little girls, they still breed. The most you can do is what has already been suggested, educate the best you can on the pros and cons of breeding and hope they eventually get it.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Oona's dad, that's a great stat to be able to throw out there.

OK, I changed my mind regarding the "What if you won the lottery" thread from the other day. If I won the lottery, my extra $$ would go towards developing and buying a nationwide ad campaign educating the public about spaying and neutering, and secondarily, encouraging rescue. ;D

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast