goose poop and pond water -> up all night (and breed question)

Thread: goose poop and pond water -> up all night (and breed question)

Defaultgoose poop and pond water -> up all night (and breed question)

well my 4 month old got hold of some goose poop and downed it at the park, and then sticks his nose into the pond and take a few licks, and then last night he's up every 1.5 hrs with diarrhea. Took him to the vet today and he's on some meds.

As a first time lab owner, I was somewhat surprised. Is it just that he's a pup and not had a chance for full immune system to kick in(he's had all his vacs) that this hit him so hard? (not sure whether it was something from poop or from something in the water...giardia?)

anyways, it got me thinking about how labs are prone to ear infections if their ears get/stay wet, and how he may have picked up something from a few licks of pond water. I was curious as to more of the breeding/biological/science side of this, I would think a dog born and bred to be in and around water would be pretty resilient to problems that they can get from it. I'm wondering if anyone can comment to that? Or people that have their labs out hunting in/out of water all day....

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: goose poop and pond water -> up all night (and breed question)

Pond water has "stuff" lurking in it and can almost always make their tummies upset if they drink it. And yes, mostly likely could be giardia. I would imagine goose poop would too, as I know rabbit poop does. And yes, the way the ears of a lab, golden, cocker spaniel are set ... they don't geet "aired" out (for lack of a better term) and are suspectible to yeast overgrowth and infections. Just be sure you wipe the ears out after swimming and keep an eye that he doesn't drink the water when he goes in swimming.
    Welcome to the forum!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake just wanted to welcome your pup to the special club of Labs Who Love Goose Poop. Jake is a master goose dropping eater, after we go to the lake for a long walk, his stool is green :-X

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ah yes, goose poop, the delicacy of the dog world. And the aperitif of choice pond water.

Both of which Fanny loves....... but prefers horse poop. and never has a stomach problem. God bless us all.

Ears are another thing entirely with her, no matter what, she gets infections all the time.